Split P pickup on Kramer Focus - how to open ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tlc1976, Oct 9, 2017.

1. tlc1976

tlc1976

Aug 2, 2016
    Michigan
    The split P pickup in my Kramer Focus has been intermittently going weak lately. A tap on the pickup casing brings it back. I removed the pickups and it's definitely something to do with the wiring going to them. No kinked wires though.

Wish my camera was better. But they're common looking pickups, black with 4 exposed pole pieces raised maybe 1/16". A solid rectangular magnet about 1/2" wide across the bottom length of the pickup. No markings of any kind on them. There's the red wire going to one, black to the other, then a blue wire that connects them both in series.

I planned on seeing if the solder joints needed retouched, since that's the most likely culprit. However the wires go through holes in a plastic plate in the bottom of the pickup case, and are likely soldered under the plate somewhere. The plate will rock back and forth some, but that's it. The end of the plate opposite the wires has the corners chamfered about 1/4", so I tried lightly prying up on the plate to no avail.

So are there any tricks to opening a P pickup? Stick it in the freezer overnight to make the glue brittle? Or are these just throwaways that don't open? I really like the sound of them when they're working full signal. My preference is a healthy mid sound, rather than a sparkly scooped "bedroom tone".

Since I only play at home right now, I'm not putting a lot of money into new pickups. So if it means new ones, I'll look around.

2. You will have to post pics, but as a general rule of thumb, if the covers are attached to the pickup, then removing them will destroy the pickup.

3. tlc1976

tlc1976

Aug 2, 2016
    Michigan
    Thanks. I just ordered a cheap set for now. Probably what was original equipment on this bass. Meanwhile I'll see if I can coax these apart, but if it doesn't work then no loss.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021