1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Split P that sounds like RI Single coil?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NOLABASS, Feb 4, 2003.

1. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Can somebody please put me onto a thread or tell me if there is a split single coil P Bass Pup that sounds like the RI Fender single coil Pup? Can't find info with a search.

2. have you tried wiring the split coil in parallel rather than the series stock wiring
    there may be a thinning of tone this way
    after all a split coil is just a coil split and repolarise to buck hum
    the high resistance is due to the wiring configuration.
    after rewiring the resistance should be around
    2.8Kohms
    a bit similar to the MM
    :)

3. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Thanks for the reply, I'm Pups dum. What I can tell you is I have a Lakland Bob Glaub I love, but I didn't understand the difference between a '64 P and a '54 P Bass in terms of sound when I ordered it. I've had limited access to vintage basses over the years. I got the Bob and I realized I was still looking for a single coil sound. I found it on a "Sting" RI and wondered if i could get the Lakland to do the same thing (sorta). I bought the sting, now I'm just curious. So if I send the pups back to Fralin to rewind, I should tell him what?And I'll try the differetnt wiring. Sorry if these are over done questions.

4. you know a lot more than i do
    i guess if you really want the real single coil sound you may have to put in the actual pickup and have a mask to cover any exposed routing?
    cheers
    :)