Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Split P that sounds like RI Single coil?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NOLABASS, Feb 4, 2003.

1. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Can somebody please put me onto a thread or tell me if there is a split single coil P Bass Pup that sounds like the RI Fender single coil Pup? Can't find info with a search.

2. have you tried wiring the split coil in parallel rather than the series stock wiring
    there may be a thinning of tone this way
    after all a split coil is just a coil split and repolarise to buck hum
    the high resistance is due to the wiring configuration.
    after rewiring the resistance should be around
    2.8Kohms
    a bit similar to the MM
    :)

3. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Thanks for the reply, I'm Pups dum. What I can tell you is I have a Lakland Bob Glaub I love, but I didn't understand the difference between a '64 P and a '54 P Bass in terms of sound when I ordered it. I've had limited access to vintage basses over the years. I got the Bob and I realized I was still looking for a single coil sound. I found it on a "Sting" RI and wondered if i could get the Lakland to do the same thing (sorta). I bought the sting, now I'm just curious. So if I send the pups back to Fralin to rewind, I should tell him what?And I'll try the differetnt wiring. Sorry if these are over done questions.

4. you know a lot more than i do
    i guess if you really want the real single coil sound you may have to put in the actual pickup and have a mask to cover any exposed routing?
    cheers
    :)