Split single coil J pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Whitenoise17, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Whitenoise17

Whitenoise17

Aug 6, 2016
    East Side
    I’m looking to replace the pickups on my Squier Jaguar SS. The bass has a PJ configuration.
    I’d like to know: are there any P pickups (split single coils) that are in the shape of a
    single coil J pickup?

2. No. It is not possible to make one, because the aperture of a P pickup is too wide to fit in the casing of a J pickup.

Nev375 likes this.
  3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

4. Whitenoise17

Whitenoise17

Aug 6, 2016
    East Side
    :bawl:
    Guess I’ll have to do it myself!

5. Whitenoise17

Whitenoise17

Aug 6, 2016
    East Side
    Killed_by_Death likes this.
  6. That's an ordinary split coil J. Not a P pickup in a J housing, as the OP was looking for.

7. Killed_by_Death

I'm from the East Side, so I guess I understood what the OP was looking for :smug:

and Lindy Fralin is only a 90-minute drive from me:

upload_2017-11-18_22-40-2.png

RedJag likes this.
  8. I guess it depends what he is looking for. Split coils are a dime a dozen, if you want a J bass tone from a pickup that humcancels. If you want P tone from a J pickup, it will be much harder to find that.

Mugre likes this.
  9. Whitenoise17

Whitenoise17

Aug 6, 2016
    East Side
    What I’m looking for is a pickup that sounds like a P pickup, but is in the format of a single coil J type pickup. I don’t really care too much if it’s hum cancelling or not, I just want it to sound like a P pickup, so that I’ll have a middle P pickup AND a bridge P pickup.

10. Killed_by_Death

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  11. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Yes, or Nordstrand in the premium category. DiMarzio Area J are a similar design and lower cost if looking for a bargain.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  12. Whitenoise17

Whitenoise17

Aug 6, 2016
    East Side
    They aren’t splits though:(
    The Nordstrands look like my best option.

13. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    I'm definitely a Nordstrand fan - have them on all my basses. But the Dimarzio are inline splits unless they changed the design in the past few years. I had a bass with three of those in it. I don't know if they were potted but I do recall checking them with a compass for some reason. The set I had were definitely inline splits.

14. Why do the pickups have to be split coil? Go for whatever configuration gets you closest to the tone that you are after.

15. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I think if there was an accurate sounding P-Bass pickup in a single-coil Jazz Bass housing, a lot of Jazz Bass players would already have them in the neck position of their Jazz Basses.

4StringTheorist likes this.
  16. jaymelewis

jaymelewis

Jan 6, 2010
    Fillmore, CA
    Aguilar makes a great P/J set. I just put them in a bass for a friend of mine, that thing rips now!

17. According to the OP's expectations the DiMarzio Model J comes to mind. AFAIK there is a PJ set available, so my assumption is that it would match with a P. I myself have a pair of these pups in my JB, and the solo'd sound is P-ish enough.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    4StringTheorist likes this.
  18. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Yup, Model J is a good contender and where I'd start. With or without Model P in the neck. And it's not expensive (not hard to find used either). A little more expensive, but I've heard it described as "P like," is Nordstrand's SE split jazz. I also wonder if there's a radically different design out there that could get close, like the Alumatones...

In the neck position, it's easier to fake the P sound, which is probably why some split J's are described as P-like. But in the bridge position, you have everything working against you: wrong dimensions + any differences are much more notable. Then again, it's not like we have an established idea of a bridge P sound, so I think you can get reasonably close without any drastic mods.

19. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    Dang! You know everything. Glad you are here to keep us straight (and honest)

20. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022