1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Splitting a TRS signal for an expression pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cosmicevan, Dec 8, 2018.

1. cosmicevan

cosmicevan bleep bloop Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    As the subject suggests, I would like to use an expression pedal to drive sweeps for 2 pedals. Ideally I would like it to be always open so the expression pedal will work with either pedal without having to click the expression pedal on. I was thinking of getting a tiny A/B/Y pedal that offers the A+B connection. This would work as long as I use TRS cabling, right? Any suggestions on the smallest box?

2. Rambazamba

Rambazamba

Dec 14, 2012
    Berlin
    You can use a volume pedal with an additional expression output.
    Take an insert cable and connect the volume like this:
    VolumeAsExpression-1.
    Than connect the other pedal with a trs cable to the expression out.
    If you use a stereo volume with exp. out you can even control three pedals at once. Also of course a stereo volume without exp. out works for you, you just need 2 insert cables.

cosmicevan likes this.
  3. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    Check out the Mission Engineering Expressionator, should be all you need and more.

4. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    Thats the thing...its more...WAY more than I need or want. I just want to split my signal leveraging the existing expression pedal I have controlling sweeps for 2 separate pedals. Would an A/B/Y splitter do the job? The make some really small ones that I can tuck under my board as an always on type of thing.

This looks like a cool trick and I will try it since that's an even better solution using just a cable.

5. Rambazamba

Rambazamba

Dec 14, 2012
    Berlin
    Simplest solution and works like a charm. I'm using a Boss FV500L. Looks like this:
    96518-tmp92FF.
    So there are three "channels".
    I control a moogerfooger, a line 6 m9 and various exchanging third pedals with just one pedal and it's awesome. Looks like this on my board:
    1jnucm.

Robertron, cosmicevan and Alien8 like this.
  6. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    Used to have one of those too. Doh.

7. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    Is what i am asking to do w an ABY box even feasible though?

8. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    It'd have to be a TRS stereo/balanced ABY... most are just TS. <EDIT: come to think of it, the pedals' expression circuits would no longer be isolated from each other which might lead to unexpected/bad/disastrous results. :nailbiting:> Have you considered a Source Audio DEP?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    cosmicevan likes this.
  9. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    Nice rec.

I think the REFLEX UNIVERSAL EXPRESSION CONTROLLER is exactly what I want

Ba55Man1ac likes this.
  10. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Even better! :thumbsup:

11. Rambazamba

Rambazamba

Dec 14, 2012
    Berlin
    Yep!

12. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    tried this trick and worked like a charm! For now, this is my solution for managing 2 separate pedals w my single expression. I love the idea of a stereo volume pedal w exp out to control 3 pedals. I might do that or might do the reflex universal expression controller if I can get my MIDI together the way I want it to w my Future Impact...this is an awesome interim solution.

Anyone know of any small footprint stereo volumes w expression that they like? That might be *THE* move of all moves for me.

Great advice in this thread, very much appreciate the participation!!!

Ba55Man1ac likes this.