Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Splitting P-Pup coils from each other

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LajoieT, Oct 30, 2004.

1. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Just wondering if (i'm sure it has) anyone has ever split the 2 coils of a P-Bass type Pickup and what types of issues, benefits, or consequenses came with it. Originally the P's 2 coils are run in series, but I was wondering if it was possible to either run them in parallel (either in or out of phase) (any benefit?) or even running each half of the pup to it's own tone circuit so you could change the tone of the lower strings differently from the upper strings, or even send them to separate outputs for their own effects or amplification.

and just to keep things clear, these are they type of pups I'm talking about:
    [​IMG]

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It can be done, depending on the pickup brand. Some, like DiMarzio, have four conductor wiring letting you either hardwire them is series or parallel. Or you can use a switch to move them between series/parallel.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yes it can be done, although it's usually worthless. A P just sounds better series.
    I only ever found one good use of a split P. On a PJ bass, wire so you can have the J pickup together with only the E and A parts of the P. It gives some balls to a J tone. Perfect to alternate solo and regular lines.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Bart P's are factory wired in series but I recently bought one that someone had taken the Bart 4 wire/ground wiring and swapped it onto it. You'd just need to solder up a pair of individual leads coming off each pup and you should be good to go.