1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Splitting Signal for a Single Destination

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Count Bassie, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Okay it goes like this...

I'm taking the signal from my bass and splitting it, sending one wire to a pedalboard. The other wire goes not to the pedalboard, but straight to the amp's input. These two paths must needs meet again (theoretically) after the pedalboard, before continuing on to a single-input Trace-Elliot 250SMX. The point is, of course, to be able to switch between pedal signal and straight signal.

I have an RFX A/B-Y switcheroo box. This is great for sending to two destinations- like pedalboard and not pedalboard. But how to reunite the wayward wires and bring either/or to the same input?

Here's a page with linkage to the manual for the RFX (Rolls) A/B Y box.

EDIT:
    Is this the answer... I send from the bass to the RFX switch box, and from there I split signal- one to pedalboard and one to this thing. I also go to this thing from the pedalboard's output... from this thing I now simply stomp n' send whichever signal to the amp's input.

Yeah?...

I'm new at this, see. The question may be just plain dumb, and I'm cheerfully hoping to see if that's true! Thanks for reading.

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    If you just want a way to bypass your pedalboard when not engaged, a true bypass looper would work. Something like this:

http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=23

If you want to be able to blend effected and dry signals, then something like this would probably work better:

http://www.bargeconcepts.com/vbjr.html

Either way, you'd have a cable from your bass going to the box and a cable from the box to your amp and on a separate loop would be your pedalboard.

Does that help?

3. artiej

artiej

Nov 2, 2007
    Boss ls-2. Cheap and easy......

4. Nerotic

Nerotic Guest

Sep 17, 2008
    BOSS LS-2.

Need I say more?

5. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Yes indeed Jared, that's the idea. In fact that variable-gadget looks pretty hip- I was trying to do a 'blend' of wet/dry in the amp's effects-loop with Send volume/Effects volume knobs, but it doesn't seem to do very well.

Either of these are exactly what I'm after- thanks!

You guys are quick on the uptake here- I can't keep up! Reading...

6. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    No problem. I'd agree with the two posts after mine that the Boss LS-2 is a very valuable tool to have. I think the Barge (and especially the Xotic XBlender) are better blenders, but the LS-2 is like a little Swiss Army knife with all the things it can do.

7. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Okay, all good stuff here. I have a power supply so maybe I don't need the Boss, not sure yet... that Barge thing is cool- I like the variable blend feature. Alright, thanks all for helpful info! Onward now, to read about all this stuff and decide how to deal.

Peace...

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The Boss isn't really a power supply anyway, that's a fib they tell. All it does is takes a Y connection off the power connected to it, which is not always adequate.

For much more on the subject of blenders, search on "blender". :)

9. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Yeah that's a cool gadget. They're all small too, which sort of makes for a choosier venture... I'm liking that Barge though. A high-quality blender seems like a real good idea.

A'ight, I'm off. Thanks again folks.

10. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Good idea.