Splitting Signal for Two-Amp Setup

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Fiset, May 20, 2018.

1. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    Last night I got to thinking about using both my practice amp and main amp together, specifically to run my dirt through one and keep the other clean. Hardly a revolutionary idea, I know, but I haven't really messed with a two-amp system before. So I need a box to split my signal. Radial immediately came to mind and I was looking at this one:

Radial BigShot ABY True-bypass Switch Pedal

Seems to accomplish what I need but since I have no experience with this I thought I would ask if there is anything else I should be looking at. Opinions and recommendations welcome. Thanks.

Kriegs likes this.
  2. Kriegs

Kriegs

Feb 14, 2018
    I used that pedal to perform that exact function for quite some time. It does it well and adds no noticeable degradation to my tone or signal :thumbsup:

Fiset likes this.
  3. qersty

qersty

Aug 15, 2012
    Sweden
    That radial should work well and assure low noise and stuff. Lehle P-Split is another really high-quality alternative if you just want to split the signal

Fiset likes this.
  4. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    What about using the line out from amp 1 to amp 2?

rufus.K likes this.
  5. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Get the Radial, its flexibility solves all sorts of headaches when it comes to phase compatibility.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    Fiset and Kriegs like this.
  6. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    line out from main (clean) amp into input on smaller dirty amps imput. fx loop the dirt and cut the eq to taste

FunkHead likes this.
  7. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    It might work OK, or might create a ground loop and cause AC noise.

The Radial BigShot has an isolation transformer to prevent the formation of a ground loop, so that's the "proper/correct" way to do this, especially if you intend to take this setup to other places like a gig.

Fiset and Kriegs like this.
  8. Ludatripp

Ludatripp

Mar 15, 2020
    Those of you running 2 amp setups: what EQ settings do you use on each amp? Mostly highs on one/mostly lows on the other? What EQ settings for dry and what EQ settings for dirty? I am looking for ideas to get a nice textured tone but can't dial in anything I like so far.