Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Splitting the bass signal to two heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by crazyphil, Nov 11, 2002.

1. I am thinking of getting another Yorkville 400 watt Bassmaster (Quite popular in Canada; built like a tank and inexpensive).

I want to use 1 head to run two 1x15 cabs and the other head to run a 4x10 cab. What's the best way to split the bass signal? Just use a Y-cable? Will that degrade the volume/quality?

2. Has the amp got a line out or a DI? Just slave one amp to the other by running the line out from one amp into the line in or maybe the effects return of the other.

You could use a Y cord to input your bass to each amp, but that's going to cut the signal from your bass in half.

3. Festus

Festus

Dec 12, 2001
    London, England.
    I tried the y cable thing, your volume does go down, but if you are willing to put up with it, you
    can always turn the gain up a bit!!

It can be good fun to run 2 sets of effects as well...

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    use an a/b/y switch it will have less cut than a plain y cable. or slave it as said before...

5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Most A/B boxes only allow you to toggle between 2 different amps. Y cables are ok, but they come at the price of a degraded signal to both amps.

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Morley's A/B box allows for the A/B/Y options.