1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Splitting the signal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by basskababble, Sep 9, 2008.

1. I bought a boss a/b switch to be able to switch between clean bass and multiple effects at the same time.

I'm running my effects line into A and want to run my bass line into B.

The thing is I've lately been using the dry outs of various pedals to split the signal early enough in the chain (preferably in the very beginning). These various pedals all react differently. The multiplexer worked pretty well until I realized that when it's on and when it's off it has a different output volume then when it's off. The digitech envelope filter doesn't output from the effects out unless it's on. The new reel tape echo (Dano) has similar volume out issues.

Is there a signal splliter that won't cut my volume and or ruin my tone? I also don't want to have a pedal that will switch between the signals like another A/B....

Are there cheap pedals that blend the signal like the effects loop in modern amps? I'm looking to get all this done for under $30

2. This may help express what i'm trying to do:

pedals-1.

3. [​IMG]

This is very versatile and can solve a lot of volume problems. Pick it up used for around $50.

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    There are a lot of blend loop pedals discussed on TB. The most popular ones I've seen are the Barge Concepts VFB-2 (and the new VB-Jr.), the Xotic Effects X-Blender, the Boss LS-2 Line Selector, and the Radial BigShot MIX.

However, your situation's a bit odd. May I ask why you're using the effects loop of your amp? IME, it's hardly the ideal place for most of the effects you're using... which could partly explain your difficulties with tone and volume (dry outputs and signal paths aside).

Preamp signals (e.g., the "Effects Send" output of your amp) are often too hot for most pedals to handle well. While there's no risk of damage to any of your gear, you may get distorted outputs, large drops in volume, and other weird issues. Most of those pedals, IMO, really do belong at the input of the amp, and not in the effects loop.

Usually, the kind of gear that goes into an effects loop tends to be rackmount effects gear. Some pedals can handle the preamp's output, but not all pedals do this well.

The rules followed by guitarists are not quite the same with bassists...

5. That's actually an old mock-up of an old set up. I'm not running through an effects out anymore. I'm running all this directly into the input of my Ampeg.

6. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Ah.

In that case... toss everything in your blue path (BSW included) into the loop of a blend loop pedal. Black route should come from the output of the blend loop pedal. Ditch the red route and the A/B switch. Be prepared to make major level and blend setting adjustments as needed until everything sounds good.

Problem solved. ;)

7. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1 to Boo.

Here's what I'd do:

Bass --> Boss LS-2 --> Bassman to Nanocomp chain --> main input of your amp

The BSW to Phaser chain goes in the LS-2's loop.

Edit: Argh! Not type fast enuff.

8. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Mwahaha. :D

Oh, as for the Alesis comp... that's one thing that probably could/should go back in an effects loop. YMMV. I have never used that compressor. :meh:

9. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    No, it's cool where it is, those Nanos run at nominal -10dB, which IME typically works a little better if treated as "instrument level" rather than "line level".

10. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    And that's why you're the Comp King. ;)

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    ...waiting on the happy ending post....

12. Thanks a lot for the advice!

I can't believe the happy ending post is coming this quick!!!!

I bought a pedal from www.pedalsahoy.com on the same night that I posted this thread. It just got here today! It's a one channel loop pedal. I would like a blend option but they were out at the moment. The light is incredibly bright, and it's true bypass. I put all the "effects" pedals in the loop, but i'm concocting some interesting ideas that may utilize my pedals and work for my sound better.