Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spock's Beard news

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Yogi Bear, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I heard that there was an announcement last week by Neal Morse stating that he will be leaving Spock's Beard. They will continue to record and are apparently looking for a new singer.

On a better note, they will be releasing a double DVD with live footagge from the Day For Night tour and the making of V footage.

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Huh? Neal Morse IS Spock's Beard!

It's like Mitch Mitchell & Noel Redding continuing the Jimi Hendrix Experience with another guitar player!

3. Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
    My thoughts exactly.

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Not only is he a good singer, but I also always have dug his acoustic guitar playing.

5. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    ya know, i loved the first three studio records by this band. as far as the last three, i think they have gotten more and more commercial. not that they were ever original, but they did have their own sound when they wanted to.
    am i the only one who thinks "snow" is awful? i hate this album! the story line is totally contrived and artificial, not to mention unoriginal. the only one spending a "long time suffering" is me when i listen to this embarrassing double blooper. i've listened to this album at least a dozen times hoping it would grow on me but it turns me off more each time i hear it!
    two hours of cheesy endless drivel from mr morse, i have to keep checking my disc player to make sure i didn't accidently put in a foreigner or styx disc in. i mean, when gentle giant does the a cappela harmonized vocals, the lyrics are really cool and thought provoking. when mr morse RIPS OFF the style, he does so using the most inane and meaningless lyrics imaginable (example: "i think i'm gonna go check the geek boy out). makes me cringe! it's a shame because there are some brilliant musical moments that point to the potential this band has.
    maybe if he leaves, the band will get back on track. then again, maybe not. though morse dominates the band, these are talented musicians and i have no doubt they could write good prog without morse IF they wanted to.

6. Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
    I like Snow, yeah the storyline is a bit cheesy but I like it none-the-less. It took a while to get used to but I don't know if I would compare it to Foreigner or Styx. I don't like it as well as their earlier recordings where you could really hear the influence early Genesis had on Neil.

Being an equal fan of Spock's Beard and Dream Theater I would have to say that Snow has completely blown the doors off of Six Degerees of Inner Turbulance.

7. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I haven't heard anything by them.
    Which album would you think a YES fan would like best?

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I'm a Yes fan, and I like Beware Of Darkness the best, followed by The Light.

9. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    roger that. also a yes fan, i love beware of darkness, also the light and kindness of strangers. huge yes, genesis and gentle giant influences. be warned that they are not going to win any originality contests. after the first three albums, i have a hard time with this band and i don't find them too progressive. more straight classic style rock.

10. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    i wonder what leonard nimoy has to say about this thread........ someone call him up..