Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

spocks beard: SNOW (calling jmx)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DEFELDUS, Jan 23, 2004.

1. alright heres the dealie-o

i bought this cd a while back, listened to it once or twice, and it never caught my ear. however, about a week ago i put it in my cd player to give it another listen and honestly it hasnt left it since then. i cant believe how much this album has grown on me. its simply amazing. so melodic, and such a great story. IMO its on the same level as dream theaters scenes from a memory (my fav album ever). this was my first SB cd as well, any suggestions as to where to go from here (does it get any better!?!)

...wating on JMX to chime in and brag about his 3 cd limited edition :spit:

2. Snow was made in the original line up with NealMorse. He left after "Snow". His new solo album testimony is really awesome, I'm almost not sad anymore about the fact that he left SB.

About Snow, I think it's Spock's Beard's best album sofar (definatley not whimpy IMO).

Anyway I've got the 3-cd lim. edition verion too :hyper: and it's really cool! The bass solo on the extra cd rocks :bassist:

3. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    I also have the 3cd edition of Snow :D

I enjoy all of their recordings, including Feel Euphoria, their latest, although that is definately lacking compared to their earlier recordings with Neal Morse. If I had to pick a favorite it would be V, their album right before Snow.

If you like Spock's Beard, do yourself a favor and check out all of the albums from Transatlantic. They were considered to be a prog super-group whose line up included Mike Portnoy handling the drum duties.

4. YES! i downloaded some transatlantic and was floored! amazing stuff. i have looked everywhere for their cds but cant find them :bawl:

5. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
  6. Transatlantic is really cool, I've got all their stuff except for the dvd (I bought Neal Morse's Testimony instead). Pete Trewavas is a great and very underrated bass player imo.

7. I bought Snow last fall and was completely blown away the first time I heard it. It's definitely one of the best CDs that I've bought in the last 5 years or so. I have since bought V and Feel Euphoria, both of which are very good.

I also second the comment about looking into Trans Atlantic. The only CD I have from them so far is A Bridge Across Forever but it's also a great recording and I look forward to getting their first one.

8. ditto that. i listen to the whole spectrum of prog though.

symphony x to cover my metal prog

rush to cover the old school goodness

planet x for the fusion vibe prog

and spocks beard and transatlantic to cover the "lite" prog (i think of them as melodic prog...?)

and of course theres DT, which covers everything...

9. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Just a question: how many albums has Spock's Beard recorded? Anyone think I should start my SB collection with Snow?

10. I think the made about 5 or 6 studio albums (the Light, Beware of Darkness, The Kindness of Strangers, Day For Night, V, Snow, Feel euphoria. I think Snow is a great way to start. after that one buy "The kindness of strangers" and "Day For Night"...

11. ditto, snow is a great way to start it out. it is quickly surpassing every other album i've EVER heard!

a true masterpiece in every sense of the word