1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spoiled by Aguilar and Thunderfunk

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by noahbass, Sep 12, 2008.

1. noahbass

noahbass

Sep 12, 2008
    guitar builder
    So I have a DB 750 and a Thunderfunk. I play them through an Accugroove El Whappo or a little 112 Genz Benz. Lately I've been screwing around with the preamp outs/poweramp ins on both amps. Using one with the other and so on.
    I've been wanting to downsize for a while and I've decided to sell my Whappo because I always end up bringing the genz benz cause it's small. So that sucks I have the awesome whappo sitting at home while I'm out playing the little genz benz thing. The whappo, sigh... that thing is just perfect in every way.

So I really like the Aguilar DB 750 preamp powered by the thunderfunk. It sounds great. Duh... So I'm trying to get an aguilar db659 and get rid of the weighty 750. I know this is a bit extravagant maybe even silly. Perhaps a nice light power amp instead of the TF. Thoughts?

2. Meh. Practicality is overrated.

Also, edit out the sale part, or buy a supporting membership.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I hear ya, bro. I just recently upsized my main stage rig because I missed having the heaviness of bigger cabs behind me. But bringing a 750 and a TF to every gig? Yeah, you could find a better solution than that. I don't know what you could get that's similar to the 750's preamp, but what can you get out of the TF's power amp that you can't get in the Aguilar's power amp?

4. noahbass

noahbass

Sep 12, 2008
    guitar builder
    I don't know what it is about the 750 pre through the TF... It's just a little crisper I guess. There's something there and I like it. A lot. I like it more than the TF alone and more that the 750 alone.

As far as lugging them both to gigs... That's not happening. I rarely even bring the 750 out. I will Sunday cause I'm playing some outdoor festival with a really big stage. I'm not even sure I would want to bring the TF and a DB659 to a show.

Anyone know how a DB 659 and decent power amp compare to DB750?

5. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    The DB659 is not the same preamp as what is in the DB750 although many people think so by the looks. It may be close knob wise but the internals are different to my knowledge. I've had both and they are different sounding.

Before you sell your DB750 to me at a rediculously low price, I suggest that you try swapping the Gain tube in your Db750. You can tell which one the Gain socket is by the aluminum sheild over the tube. Also the circuit board is marked V-1.

I put a NOS Telefunken in mine and it tightened up the low end response and made the highs shimmer. It made the amp react a bit quicker all the way.

I tried the opposite when I had my TF and DB. Didn't much care for the result. I also tried my DB659 with the DB750 power section and although it was a very slight improvement with a little more vintage vibe I didn't find it worth it at all.

The main thing I've found about the DB750 is matching it up with the right cab. It sounded like poo through the Epifanie UL410 S1, but great with the Bergs. Many love the synergy with like products so the Aguilar cabs will most certainly sound great too. Also changing the gain tube. Great Amp, one of my all time favorites.

6. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    You like the pre in the Aguilar and the power from the TF. I would think the other way around. They are both great amps and you can get pretty much the same tone out of both. Check out Tommix version of the TF getting the DB tone settings. I would not sell them but I would not carry both either.
    Again PM Tommix.

7. noahbass

noahbass

Sep 12, 2008
    guitar builder
    Big String, what's the difference between the preamps, 750 and 659? I used to have the 359. Is that the same as the 659?

I set the eq on the TF to the specs from the 750 and it seems to get close but it's still just not an aguilar. I will look into the tube replacement, but I'm still hoping to downsize without losing awesomeness.

Also I'm new to this message board stuff. What is Tommix and PM?
    I looked around the newbies section and best I can figure is PM is some kind of messaging that I'm not sure how to do. I assume Tommix is a person...?
    thanks

8. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    As far as Power Amps in the light category the QSC PLX2 1804 weighs 13 pounds and puts out 900 watts per side at 4 ohms. However it will not bridge mono and dosnt have many extreas.

I am currently using the SWR Marcus Miller M2 Preamp into a Yamha P5000S Power Amp. The Amp is 2600 watts Bridged mono into 4 ohms and weight 26 pounds. The amount of power is massive. I run it at a little over half way on the volume into an 800 watt cab. I will shake the world. It is however a little more power than I will ever need. Wish I had the TF 750. To me that would be cool as shiyte having a 750 watt power section all in one little box on top of my 4 ohm 800 watt 4x10.

SWRBassRig_1378.

9. Big String

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Noahbass
    PM = private message. You can contact other members if you want to ask questions outside of the public threads.

Tommix is a well know guy on TB here. He's a really nice guy and very knowledgeable like many other TB'rs. We are here to share information etc. Great fun in IMO (in my opinion) :)

10. noahbass

noahbass

Sep 12, 2008
    guitar builder
    I think there is some confusion.
    I'm talking about the aguilar DB750 when I say 750. My thunderfunk is the TF-550b IMG_6015.

11. Big String

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    I saved the PM from Tommix from a couple years ago for reference. I don't think he'll mind if I post his findings. I don't remember if these settings were supposed to get close to the DB750 or not but I think so. Hope it helps.

(Quoted from my PM from Tommix)
    I like a really full, deep but cutting, punchy tone......I want to feel it and hear it but I want ALL the little nuances to shine through...here are a couple of starters:

Input Gain @ between 3 and 4 (not o'clock!!!)

Enhance between 3 and 5 (depending on the room)

Bass @ 1 or 2 (O'clock) have gone as much as 3 or 4

Low Para - 10 or 11 oclock at 30 hz in boom room
    and @ 1 - 3 oclock @ 30 to fatten up (ala DB750)

Low Mid @ between 10 and 2 oclock @ just below 300 hz to bump or cut the low mid (again depends on the room and whether you like that bump in this frequency)

High Mid - typically flat but may cut a bit (10 or 11 o clock) at or near 800 hz if the drummer is REALLY good to give the drums a little room to breathe (especially the toms if they are really active on the fills and such)

High - typically flat but the El Whappo likes a little touch of about 4K (1 to 3 oclock depending on where you are realtive to the cab)

Treble usually about 1 to 2 oclock if at all

Timbre ALWAYS between 10 and 11 to fill up the bottom a bit....may leave this flat in a boomy room or just barely on you will hear the bump when it comes in....

Master rarely gets over 3 or 4 (NOT Oclock) but I always have really great PA support.......I have bumped it higher to hear the cab but I don't like to monitor that loud at all IF I can help it.....luckily I am an older guy that is past the teenage "lets kill em all" mentality!!

Take all of this with a grain of salt but it is a good starting point......if it sounds good it is good.....NO MATTER what the EQ says!!! I would imagine that your PJ would be a little deeper than my JJ to begin with so you may not have to go up quite as far and you find that the frequency centers may vary just a tad especially in the low mid and mid due to the P...Also keep in mind that the Sadowsky pre is really good so it may make a difference there as well.....I typically run my pre fairly low with bass boost at about 1/3 up and the treble maybe just a touch higher than that....I may nudge them both a bit when I slap if necessary....but just a touch should do it......play around with it and let me know how it turns out.....Good Luck and God Bless..

Peace,

T