1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spoiled

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LP75, Sep 7, 2008.

1. LP75

LP75

Aug 29, 2006
    Seattle
    I think this may be the definition of "spoiled" for a bass player:
    From my home it is just a bit less than 10 miles to Bass Northwest in Seattle, and less than 5 miles to Mike Lull's Guitar Works shop in Bellevue WA.

I have taken all of my basses and guitars to Mike for setup, repair, and modifications for over 20 years, beginning when he did mainly repair work, and before he started building his fine line of instruments. One of my friends bought his first 5-string that he ever sold.

Anyone who has ever set foot inside of Bass Northwest knows what a top-notch bass store is. If something exists in the bass world, they can get it, and often have it in stock. The eye and ear candy they have out on display in there will truly make your head spin. I have bought basses and amplification gear at BNW, and the staff there treats every customer as the most important one they have - from local legends to first-time buyers - everyone gets treated to a wonderful experience. They are knowledgable and patient, and seem to truly enjoy helping out fellow bassists find their dreams. The best day I have had in years was in spring of '07 when I went in to pick up my new custom order Modulus Quantum 5 with a burl myrtle top. I played it for a few weeks, then brought it to Mike Lull and had him do some magic on the Bartolini system that brought the best out of the beast.
    Damn, I am spoiled.

http://www.bassnw.com/
    http://www.mikelull.com/

I sometimes forget that many people have little more choice than a GC outlet, and that lots of TB members don't even have access to any stores within a hundred miles.

How far do some of you have to travel to find a good bass shop or luthier/repair shop?

2. Damn you!!! :D I check the Bass Northwest site several times a week (I'm such a geek), I would love to go there sometime.

I get most of my stuff through mail order: Carvin, Bass Central, Warmoth, and once from Bass Northwest. The really cool boutique stuff I want isn't available locally. We don't have a bass specialty store, although we do have Lakland, Warwick, Musicman, and of course Fender. Long and McQuade and Steve's Music are the 2 biggies in town. I tend to go to L & M more often as they're more convienient to get to. The atmosphere is less hectic too. I don't have a repair person, you're all set having a guy like Mike Lull. Just curious, what work did he do on your Modulus?

I went to Bass Central a few weeks ago. :eek::hyper: Maybe it's just as well I don't live nearby!

3. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Spoiled and a lucky bastard. How many other people can boast about having those two traits?:D

4. Rumblee

Rumblee

Jan 18, 2005
    I live in Tacoma, but work in Seattle so really I am in the same boat as you are. My jazz bass has been graced by mike lulls magic, Bass NW is blocks from where I work, and in a pinch I have a guitar center 5 minutes away from where I live. Oh yeah, and warmoth is about 15 miles away. Plus there is a fender plant in Frederickson (spanaway) where you can get some great deals if you know someone working there. LOUD technologies (ampeg) is in Woodinville now too. So if my amp bites the dust I can leave it on their front door.

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I am about 45 minutes from the Twelth Fret, Steve's Music and Club Bass on Toronto, 30 min to Cosmo Music in Richmond Hill and I have a big Long & McQuade about 10 minutes away.

I am covered for retailers but being that close to a good builder might become very expensive!

6. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Sorry to rain on the parade, but I had quite a sour experience at Bass NW. I posted it in another thread, but basically I walked in with about 1200 clams burning a hole in my pocket and I was treated like a bothersome kid with no place in a store like that. All they would let me plug into was a little SWR combo (which I already knew I hated - they carry them locally and I've tried them) and they couldn't even tell a Skyline Lakland from a G&L. So much for knowledgable staff :/

I think most of it was because of this guy who was there. I didn't think much of it until I had left, but I started thinking to myself, "Gee, self; that guy sure looked a lot like Victor Bailey. Come to think of it, he talked a lot like him too. And he sure as hell played like him. Hmm." And just about every staff person was clustered around him, except when I insisted that they tear themselves away from his presence to let me try a Sadowsky.

Quite frankly, I don't care if that was Vic himself, I think one of them could politely tear themself away for a few seconds to let me try the bass I want into the amp I want, especially considering I was a serious potential buyer.

Not impressed at all. :(

7. LP75

LP75

Aug 29, 2006
    Seattle
    Mine has the Bartolini NTMB (3-band) 18V system. I wanted to get more flexibility from it in the upper mids. Mike swapped out the stock 25k volume pot for a new 500k (with a pull-passive switch that Modulus should have in there anyway). Also swapped out the 250k blend pot for a new 500k. Those changes opened up the tone 100%, it was amazing. That Bartolini darkness was given light, and now all those fat bass frequencies are balanced by a sweet top end. To further enhance this, I had him add a 3-way mid-frequency switch (from Bartolini) that gives a freq center choice of 250 Hz (stock), 500 Hz, and 800 Hz.

In addition, he added shielding to the pickups themselves, and made shielding improvements in the controls cavity. Then did a complete pro setup to suit my preferences.

8. me in India (and of course a lot a of other musicians here) can only find like 3-4 showrooms with hardly any equipment when compared to a GC. and BASS equipment? what? bass gear?
    oh well....

9. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I'm spoiled too. 15 minutes from bass central, 5 minutes from a good GC. Then two Sam Ash stores within 20 minutes. Gotta love living in a metro area.

10. LP75

LP75

Aug 29, 2006
    Seattle
    Since you are the only person I have ever heard having a bad experience there, and that Victor Bailey was in the store, I would say this was an anomaly.

Just curious - does Sadowsky make a bass that you can buy with $1200? Was there a used model there?

11. My hometown has a music store that's decent, but doesn't really stock a lot of electric instruments compared to how many acoustics they have. What they DO have, however, is a guy that worked for Gibson, building guitars for 20+ years.

12. mememe! :hyper:

I live in Bellevue, about 5 minutes from Mike Lull's shop. I've also taken all my basses to him for setup/repair work. He's done refrets on 3 of my basses, fixed a twisted neck on one, worked on electronics, bridges...etc. His work is the best! Super nice guy and staff there too.

BassNW...yeah, I try to stay away from that place. WAY too dangerous for my wallet. They have Foderas and full Epifani stacks - and everything else you could possibly want :bag:

13. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Nah, you're spoiled, luck AND cocky!:D

14. Who, me? :p

15. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    There's an upright store called the Bass Cellar 5 mins from my house, but the nearest all-bass store I'm aware of is Kurt's place called the Bass Mint in KC, MO.

For a good luthier/repair shop, I only need travel to my garage :D

16. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    You are right. Their behavior was not professional. I can only hope that had positions been reversed YOU would have been the one to leave Mr. Bailey to go assist your potential customer.

17. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    Well im close enough to several Long and Mcquade stores...and have a great tech about 30 minutes away....its all good here...I find bass nw doesnt have a lot of basses im interested in generally...its only 2-3 hours away and im in Seattle pretty often to see my lil guy.

18. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    Dang it. I live all the way up in Kirkland, so it's a full 20 min. drive to BassNW and about 10 to Lull. You Bellevueites have it so easy.;)

Then again, I'm so happy with the gear I have it doesn't matter a whole lot. Although if one of my pieces of gear fell apart, I'd be going across the lake right away.

19. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Lets see the options here:
    1) Help customer, get commission.
    2) Oogle someone playing bass.

He was not in the wrong here, I don't care if God is playing bass in your store, that is pretty unprofessional.

I know a local luthier who works on my stuff, and while he may not do as good of a job as Mike Lull, it's definitely good enough for me.

As far as stores go, I got a crappy music store that stocks nothing but Samicks, 3 Ibanez's, 3 Corts, and one G&L Trib. 5 string. Not a whole lot of selection.

So, if I do want to play a decent bass/amp/anything music related, I'm looking at about a 3 hour drive.