spoke with Bill Conklin - What a guy!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Dec 21, 2001.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA

weathered air travel and old, crazed memories of the midwest and went to south central Missouri last week.

i had planned on visiting the Conklin shop in Springfield, MO, but, family stuff got in the way.

have to say how nice and professional Mr. Conklin is. he called me the day we were to meet to verify my visit...i was about to call him to cancel (which i was FAR from happy about).

we chatted (ON HIS DIME) for about 15 minutes.

what a sweetheart of a person!!!!!!

talked about Rocco Prestia, CNC, Lightwave, Zon, Fender, John Turner (actually, i used JT as my calling card - seemed to work fairly well, thanks JT!), my web site, 3D CAD, hand made basses, Fender, Fender and more about Fender...

i know this ain't much of a thread topic, but i just wanted to praise Mr. Conklin for his personal approach.

no wonder John Turner keeps going back...once you've found a builder with that kind of attitude, hard to switch.

but, ya know...a lot of the smaller shop masters are like this...

Rob Allen was GREAT, Joe Zon - my hero, Mike Tobias was a lot like Bill Conklin, he'll share with you for hours it seems...

we're a lucky lot, us lowly bass players.

happy holidays to all my bottom ended brothers and sisters!

fred hodshon
  2. That's one of the things I like about the bass world--it's small enough that if I email Spector's help line with a question about a Korean-made NS2000/5, I will get a reply from Stuart Spector himself. Even the "name" builders still take the time to treat their customers right.

I remember when Roger Sadowsky got an account here to answer questions about his basses. Considering what a busy guy he is, I think it was one hell of a nice gesture.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As self-promoting as it may sound, I think you find that the bass world, in general, is more about substance than style (unlike some other band members I won't mention). Bass people just tend to be more "real" and without pretension. Conklin was/is a bassist and I think it definitely comes through, even in their catalog. There's little hyperbole, just facts.

Unfortunately, with some of the new breed I see coming up from the recording factories, this "Golden Era" may not last.
  4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Along this same line...it's kinda funny to call Lakland to order strings and have Dan take your order. Or get an email reply from Dave, the guy that builds my favorite amps. Mr. Bartolini is supposed to be a wonderful person. And as mentioned Roger Sadowsky is a true gentleman.

I heard a funny thing about Lane Poor the other day. It seems that if you called Lane you are supposed to have your coffee pot and smokes close by and be certain that you don't have to go to the bathroom as he won't hardly let you off the phone.

I am happy to be a part of the bass brotherhood with super people like these. Yes Fred, we are a lucky lot.

Merry Christmas
  5. I snoop around here, with relative inexperience, and I'm warmly greeted as if I've been playing forever. That's what I love about this place. I've asked questions, and my skills are improving, I can tell, and so can my family.

And I can tell that we're a tight knit community of players and luthiers from the various luthiers posting here, like Dave Pushnic, etc.

This community has hooked me. I'll be here forever.

Merry Christmas everyone.
  6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    To me, it seems that the smaller companies have MUCH BETTER customer relations as opposed to companies like Fender. I've spoken to Stuart Spector & Roger Sadowsky multiple times. I've emailed Lakland & Dan has responded to me. When you go to Rogers shop, he is ALWAYS @ his computer where the basses are, not hidden away in some back office. These little personal touches make it a pleasure to buy from them.

Try emailing MusicMan & let's see if Ernest actually answers the phone. :p
  7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I think it's because they still consider themselves part of the "bass brethren", instead of just a builder. They also realize that happy customers are more valuble than a full page BP ad. And their name still means something to them!
  8. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Uhh, Im not sure if you meant this or not, but hes not exactly going to answer the phone if you email him...
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings