Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spokeshaves

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Luke Sheridan, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    LMI lists two spokeshaves, both rounded and straight. Can I get by with just the rounded for shaping a neck or do I really need both?

2. The round is designed to shape concave and the flat for convex curves. If you have surform (round), then you can do very rough concave curves followed by smooth sanding.

I have flat and round spokeshaves. I've tried both the round, a sureform for shaping curves and both are ok. The round tends to be more time consuming as it takes finer shaves. The sureform is fast and removes a lot of wood, so care must be taken if using it.

The flat is a definite, but the round isn't required if you have other means of making the curves.

3. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    I tend to only use the surform because it is so fast, and i've never liked the feel of a real carved out heel. it's too sudden for me, so i like to use the surform to blend the heel, thus eliminating the need for a spokeshave all together.

4. Luke Sheridan

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I just bought a Shurform. so I'll have at it with that. very inexpensive, BTW.

5. So, wait . . . is the surform the same as the curved one or are we talking about something else altogether?!?!?!??!!?

6. Luke Sheridan

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY

The Shurform is like a cheese grater and the Spokeshave is like a reverse plane.

7. I thought they were different. Can you put a link up to the surform you bought?