Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sponsorships

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lecollectif, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Lecollectif

Lecollectif

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    I remember, not too long ago, someone on here posting pictures of their new HUGE GK rig that they obtained through a sponsorship. I was wondering what has to be done to get such a sponsorship. I was going to invest a lot of money that I don't have really soon on a rig. I thought that maybe I'd have a chance at getting one really cheap... or maybe even free. (Don't laugh, I'm not sure how this all works.)

My band has a well known booking agent, and is inches away from signing with a reputable independent label. I would assume that would give me some legitimacy when hunting for a generous sponsor. But what else?

Thanks.

2. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    From what I know in talking to an artist relations person for a guitar company, here's what I can tell you:

A professional portfolio featuring yourself and your band is a must.

A body of recorded work.

A schedule showing your upcoming gigs. It does a company no good to sponsor an artist who isn't playing anywhere to showcase their equipment.

What you could do is find out the company's artist relations person and contact them. They're usually very helpful and will tell you what they're looking for in an artist.

While a sponsorship probably won't entail free equipment, (Only the big boys get that) you might get something like paying cost for your equipment, or maybe even a little better to start off with. Anything is better than nothing.

Good luck!

3. that's pretty much it. most of the bands we sponsor are hardcore or metal, so they're not household names. but they're signed and dave ellefson has worked with or heard of their booking and/or management people.

also, we generally sponsor people who already had peavey and wanted to upgrade. sometimes we get with people who have a desire to get the peavey sound but don't play it already.

robb.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I got my string sponsorship through management. I wouldn't even know where to begin to seek such things myself. It was a brand I didn't use, and was offered to me by the manager without me saying a word to request any type of sponsorship. Free is free, though . . . and I change the strings much more often than I would otherwise, that's for sure . . .

5. Lecollectif

Lecollectif

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Awesome Possum.

Well, yes. We're not a household name by any means. But we play a lot and are doing a month long tour in August. Getting something at cost is still amazing. But I'll definitely look into the artist relations contacts. That would probably at the very least make me understand how it all works. Thanks a lot.