1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spontaneous Action Rising Syndrome?!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rockstar744, Sep 16, 2008.

1. rockstar744

rockstar744

Feb 15, 2007
    Portland OR
    Hello-
    I have a 2000 Stingray that has been giving me some grief recently. Earlier this week, I adjusted the truss rod for just enough relief and had the action nice and low. Any lower, and the notes buzzed.
    This morning, I took my bass out and noticed the action seemed really high. I checked the relief (pressed the first fret and held down the string after the last) and it seemed the same as before. I lowered the strings, not quite all the way down but getting close. Now it seems to play fine, but would anybody tell me if they've ever heard of this happening? Or am I taking CRAZY PILLS?!
    PS The temperature went up today outside, but it has stayed comfortable inside.

2. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Hi rockstar744,

How did you lower the action? By adjusting the truss rod only or by using the rod and the saddles?

Make sure that the neck bolts are tight.

This does happen occasionally for various reasons. A change in temperature, humidity, string tension, neck wood adjusting to differences in tension can all cause the action to change slightly. No crazy pills, that's fairly normal.

If it happens regularly, then you might have a problem, but this sounds more like an isolated incident. You should post again if you see the same issue in a few days.

3. rockstar744

rockstar744

Feb 15, 2007
    Portland OR
    Thanks, Xylem! I lower the strings by the bridge saddles only, and adjust the truss rod only to set proper relief. I'll post if anything else happens.

4. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    when you adjust the rod, always end your adjustment in the tightening direction. If you do it in the losening direction it can slip due to the direction it ended in.

5. rockstar744

rockstar744

Feb 15, 2007
    Portland OR
    Interesting stuff... I might just have to do that. Thanks!