1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spontaneous Gig.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Enden, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Enden

Enden

May 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Apparently, my school is having some charity concert tomorrow night. Apparently, I'm a go-to bass player. My friend Max came up to me, told me his bassist quit yesterday, and asked me to play in her place. I asked what I need to play. He said "Santeria and some other songs we'll figure out tonight. Probably something by Chili Peppers." I said whatever. So in 10 minutes, I'm leaving to go to the practice. At the house of a person I've never met. With a band mostly of people I've never met. For a show that's tomorrow. This should be interesting.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    [/end blog]

:p

3. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    go tear it up. you'll do great.

4. Enden

Enden

May 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Just got back from practice. We're doing "Santeria", "Funky Monks", and "Right On Time". Beh.

5. Right on time is something not easily mastered. Getting it tight is easier said than done.

6. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    What a rush...very cool! That's the great thing about being a bassist...you get asked to do all manner of cool things on the spur of the moment.

Cherie :) :bassist:

7. Asomodai

Asomodai

Jan 21, 2006
    London UK
    This has happened to me twice.

I was asked to fill in for a Death metal band whos bassist quit 3 hours before the gig, I had 2 hours to learn their originals and play raining blood (thats a damn hard song to play with fingers, ((never learnt how to play with a plectrum)))

I was also asked by a prog band to fill in for a gig the day before.

They both went pretty damn well considering :) It really helped me along as a bassist and i am the go to bass player it seems :S

8. Enden

Enden

May 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA

I know. We got it down pat though. I already knew it, the guitarist already knew it.

I just got a call, 4 hours before the gig. My friend's metal band's bassist just got told he can't play 'cause of grades, so I have to fill in and make it up on the spot. Good thing I'm bringing my 5 string:ninja:

9. Enden

Enden

May 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    So. We're waiting backstage and the "singer" is shaking. I knew right then it was gunna suck. We get up there, and he stumbles through Santeria. Then he outright forgets the words to the next songs. Right on Time was going awesome. Me and the guitarist were tearing up but he froze, and we just stopped playing. People in the crowd were yelling "leave the bassist and guitar on!" and "bass solo!", so I just played some riffs and left stage furious.

10. Good work on your part for getting yours together on time, kudos.

+1. Our vocalist has done that to us too, forgetting words to songs we're playing and worse still asking us to skip songs because he doesn't know them...on the fly...during the songs' intro...through the mike so we'll hear his pleas...in front of everyone else listening to us!

Yep, great night that was. Suffice to say both myself and the guitarist have mikes now...and are learning to sing best we can.

11. visa

visa

Dec 17, 2005
    i once filled in for a great band that's bassist was overseas during a period of time where they had a gig. i jammed with the band the day before their gig, learnt 5 of their originals.

I had no reference material to listen to, so i pretty much came up with my own basslines to their songs. The gig the next day was pretty great, and some of their fans told me that they actually thought my bass added a new side to their songs they didn't hear before!

it was a great learning experience for me, though i can't wait to catch the band with their original bassist so i can see what i was being compared to ^_^

12. Dude, I just realized you're from the same town as Catch 22/Streetlight Manifesto.

13. Enden

Enden

May 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Yeah, unfortunately.

that was a bit of a late reply..