Sporting a two-piece...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Barfly, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    I did my first 2 piece show last night (acoustic bass, 12 string guitar threw a small vocal PA, moderate amplification on the instruments) and I really, really enjoyed it.

I've only ever known full band settings playing out for the last 13+ years. Last night was so refreshing!

Such a nice harmony workout as well as a playing-dynamics workout.

I'll be doing more of these for sure.

Anyone else done or doing these type of gigs?
  2. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I've been drummer-less for about a month now. Standing gig every Fri & Sat at a small cafe since Oct of last year, intimate setting, quiet wine bar, jazz, standards, some blues, etc... I've had occasion to do this quite a bit with a few combos, and while I agree it can be fun, I would personally prefer having the drummer, especially if I can pick who it is. :p

It has improved my timing, and simplified my playing to a degree. I've had to use charts for all the standards I'm not used to, so quite beneficial. I can pull it off when necessary.

Still, I would prefer percussion of some kind.
  3. My favorite two piece combo is bass and drums. Fun way to expand your role and play some chords / melodies on the bass! Plus, it's a big, warm mellow vibe - lots of people really dig it. Someone at a gig said it was like taking a bath, lol.

I also kicked around the idea of a power duo with a drummer - I'd play guitars / bass on foot pedals / sing and he'd play drums / hit triggers / sing. We started to work up some tunes but he got chicken. I will admit that it was really, really hard so there were no hard feelings, lol.