1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sports that aren't really known outside your home country? Whats yours?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by dj150888, Mar 16, 2010.

1. dj150888

dj150888

Feb 25, 2008
    Belfast, Ireland
    Was just out playing a bit of hurling this afternoon with a few mates and was thinking to myself, "Really, anyone outside Ireland has probably never heard of this game and thinks we're absolutely insane for even thinking about it!"

So, I got to thinking, what mildly insane or strange sports do they have in OTHER countries that we've never heard of outside that country?

I give you all hurling - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmzivRetelE&feature=player_embedded

It predates most modern sports, is still only an amateur sport at all levels, but it still attracts fairly hefty crowds, with the All Ireland final pulling around 90,000 people down to see it in Croke Park, Dublin.

Yes, that ball is very, very solid and routinely travels at 100mph, yes those sticks are very regularly swung at head height.

There is a team in New York and one in London, but thats the only two teams in the world who play outside Ireland, so I don't know if many would've heard of it.

Whats your sport then?

2. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Jai Alai Maybe? Popular in Florida but where else?

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Believe it or not, I have heard of hurling. A ball, a couple of goals, and a bunch of fast and strong dudes with clubs and none of that protective padding crap. Bring it on!

4. I'm pretty sure it's more popular in south America than it is in Florida.

5. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Apparently it hails from the Basque region of Spain so perhaps popular in the thin part of Spain/France?

I don't really know anything about the sport but it's what popped into my head after reading the thread title.

6. dj150888

dj150888

Feb 25, 2008
    Belfast, Ireland

Did you watch the video Eric? Helmets are encouraged, but regularly left off because of the interference with your field of vision. Injuries are.....common. The G.A.A. are talking about forcing players to wear the aul' helmets, a movement I understand, but oppose.

Jai Alai seems interesting, I've seen it somewhere before briefly.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Not that I'm American - but American Football must be the most peculiar case of this - where it is very popular in the US , but almost nobody else plays it and there is no worldwide competition....? :eyebrow:

8. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    A couple more are popping into my head,...they aren't necessarily from my home country but maybe call them obscure games/sports.

Bocce Ball

Bowling

Lawn Darts

9. Not quite a sport, but Punkin Chunkin is a local favorite. Enjoy:

10. The sport is dying here in Florida. I know that many years ago when I went a few times, all the players where from various countries in south America.

11. I like the Trebuchet class more than the compressed air launchers. It's more mechanical masturbation than anything else :D

12. Lacrosse is basically just a US and Canadian sport. The box variety is farely rare.

lowsound

13. Me too. I can see medieval folks chunkin punkins.

14. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    That's actually the first time I've seen helmets worn - at least in the little I've seen of hurling in years past.

15. England plays plenty of lacrosse as well. I live in lacrosse central and growing up many kids flew there to play. Best team sport ever.

16. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Bet none of you have ever heard of Quoits?
    It's a very localized thing around here, so I'm not even sure if it's heard outside of central NJ/Eastern PA.

EDIT - I completely stand corrected... I just looked it up and apparently I'm delusional :)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quoits

darn you, England!!

17. Cat juggling.

[​IMG]

18. cricket! ok so there must be like a dozen countries which play cricket really! but thats nor really known since there are like what more than 170 right!? :ninja:

19. Cricket is only the worlds second most popular sport.

lowsound

20. i know but look how many countries really play cricket:p
    edit: and its also because one sixth of the world population is in my country! and probably one fourth in the sub continent itself heh

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020