Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sprained ankle

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Phil Mastro, May 10, 2005.

1. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Yup i got a sprained ankle, and a fiberglass cast for 1 month.

Happened while playing tennis on monday night. First time of the year. I usually play on clay, but the clay courts here weren't open for maintenance reasons. So I went to play on hard courts with my dad.
    As I was about to reach this far off back-hand, my subconscious reflex to slide took over, but my foot didn't slide at all.
    And then: SNAP! ZOOM! CRASH! :help:

I got to the hospital at 8:00 pm, got out of there at 3:45 AM, only to be told I had to come back at 8 in the morning to see the orthopedist, and finally got out of there at 12:30 with a cast. :mad:

Fortunately nothing's broken. However, I also lightly sprained my left wrist, making bass playing a painful activity. :bawl:

Anyways, I was just wondering if any of you guys had any good ideas to pass the time, books to suggest, shows or movies to watch, anything really, cuz I'm gonna be stuck for a while. :(

Phil

2. I highly recommend this: www.xmradio.com

Any kind of music you like is there, with no commercials !!!

At about $200 for the hardware, and a $10 activation fee not as cheap as renting a few videos or buying a few books, but then you'd have it for keeps. It's also $12.99 per month, but it will entertain for years to come.

Speedy recovery. ;)

Mike

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Did they say anything about soft tissue damage? The reason I ask is my last sprained ankle was after a motorbike crash and the doctor actually said "UNfortunately the bone isn't broken". Instead I did all sorts of damage to my ligaments and tendons. I was told at the time that a broken bone would have been better because bones heal close to 100%, but soft tissue doesn't.

As for killing time while recovering - I like to escape the pain so I watch DVD's. I recommend "The Terminal". I also liked "The Incredibles".

4. Reading suggestions:

The Dark Tower Series- from King, first one is called The Gunslinger, 7 books.

The Dragonlance Chronicles - Wies & Hickman, 3 books first one is The Dragons of Autumn Twilight

The Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan, currently being finished, sadly by the 7th book, things start to get a little slow. 10 books so far, 11th coming soon. First one is called The Eye of the World.

That's 20 books of respectable length, have fun! :hyper:

Have a safe recovery, and hopefully no soft-tissue damage.

5. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    thanks for the support, eh?

Anyways, i already saw The Incredibles, and I also alreday read the DragonLance chronicles starting with Dragons of Autumn Twilight. I'm currently reading Atonement by Ian McEwan.
    The rest though I haven't seen or read yet.

I honnestly dunno if I have some soft tissue damage, the doc didn't seem too concerned and didn't mention anything about it. My foot's been the size of a football though, and it's apparently an 'upper' class 2 sprain (out of 3), hence the cast. I really have no clue what a class 3 sprain could look like, all the people at the hospital were pretty impressed with mine.

Anyways, I'm out for now,
    Ciao
    Phil

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Oh man I remember the swelling. My ankle was the same size as my thigh. I guess that happens when your toes come into contact with your shin on impact.

You'll know more once the swelling goes down. In the meantime, remember to R.I.C.E - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. The ice part might be difficult with a cast, but at least it takes care of the compression. Sounds like you're already resting, so focus on elevation - keep your leg propped up on a chair to stop the blood from running down there.

7. Funny, on Sunday I sprained my ankle playing tennis on a hard court as well.

I can confirm that a badly sprained ankle can be worse than a broken ankle. I did some ligament damage to my ankle some years ago and though I only had a cast for 4 weeks, to this day I still experience slightly limited range of motion and weakness in that joint.