Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spray adhesive for attaching sandpaper

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dr. PhunkyPants, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Hi,

Does anyone use a spray adhesive for attaching sandpaper to tools for doing quick fret dresses? If so, what's the product?

Thanks....

2. There are a couple of brands that come to mind. The 3M Super77 (sold at Walmart and other places) and there's a cheaper brand that I use sold at the same place. They both work equally well, especially for something non-critical like attaching sandpaper to blocks and straight edges.
    I've been doing that for years without problems.

Mag...

3. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Super 77 is great stuff. I use it a lot, and it's very sticky. Sometimes I've had trouble getting sandpaper of my sanding blocks and stuff, though, so you might be a little careful about it. I don't use it on my radius blocks (wood, not metal) for that reason.

4. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    so it's OK for metal, then?

Thanks,
    Brian

5. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I'm sure it's fine for metal. I just mentioned that my blocks are wood because the Super 77 seems to stick really well (a little too well) to them.

6. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
  7. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i have a whole can of 3M Spray Mount if you want it.

8. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Contact cements can be brutal to disassemble if you use as directed. That is: coat both surfaces, let them partially dry, then position. The stuff is amazing, but getting it apart is very hard. One way to cut down on the adhesive strength is to coat only one side (I'd spray the block) then let it set up so it isn't tacky. Attach the paper. The result should be that the paper will come off easier and you can remove the residue from the block with your finger.

9. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for the advice... I'll try that next time.