Spray Gun Recommendations.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Hopkins, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
  2. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I have this one.

Gravity Feed Spray Gun - 20 Oz. HVLP

I paid around $20 at the time for mine and have painted everything from outboard motors with acrylic enamel, Varnish and lacquer on furniture to doors and cabinets in my house. It's a workhorse and sprays about as good as a Binks siphon gun I used to have. I also own its little brother the touch-up gun. They have some better ones for $35-40 as well. You shouldn't have to spend a lot to get a good gun. Good Luck!

3. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Thanks. I haven't tried that gun, but I had a cheap gravity feed HVLP that was just awful. So I would feel safer spending a little money on one that will last me.

4. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
  5. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    If you plan to do a lot of spraying, get a real, dedicated HVLP system with the turbine. Compressed air needs to be filtered for condensation and HVLP doesn't because the pressure release doesn't occur. Having said this, I have a HVLP "conversion" gun from Harbor Freight and it worked great for spraying my kitchen cabinets and the body of my SD Curlee bass. You just need to adjust it correctly and practice before "showtime". Mine was $39. I don't expect it to last forever but when it went on sale for less, I bought another one.

6. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    I have a good filter/dryer on my compressor

7. SolidFooting

SolidFooting

Jun 6, 2011
    While I use a different method myself, I've heard very good things about the Iwata stuff. Sata is supposed to be great too.

8. Eight_Stringer

Eight_Stringer

Feb 22, 2009
    Australia
    Nozzle size needs to be part of the desired outcome in regard to layer function, ie 1.6-2.4m/m or so for base fillers and primers. 1.2m/m for top coats. Good quality guns require good quality compressed air, serious finishes require expensive equipment. Passable results from average equipment, and lots of enthusiastic verve make for a great learning outcome. Watch for toxicity of many paint products, the idea is to paint the object not reduce your lifespan. Regards.

9. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    This is good advice. Ive sprayed alot of lacquer on cabinet doors, (usually with an airless) but I don't have alot of experience with fine finishing.

I have a good compressor and a good filter/dryer.

10. The Debilviss SRI guns are nice. I've been using one for about 2 yrs now and am vary pleased with it. It doesn't require as high of cfm as some other hvlp guns.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021