Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spray liner for amp covering

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phaneo, Dec 13, 2005.

1. phaneo

phaneo

Mar 14, 2001
    Fort Worth TX
    Anyone think the idea of covering a bass cab with spray on truck bed liners is crazy. It's black and extremely tough. Just a thought as I contemplate recarpeting this cab.

2. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Euphonic Audio has been doing this with their cabs for several years. I have two CXL112s that have this coating and they look brand new. You can just wipe them down with a damp cloth a presto!...new looking cabs! No carpet fur, no bar smoke smell, no lint, etc. The stuff is tough as nails.
    Low Down Sound, Dr. Bass and a few other companies also uses this as a coating option on their custom cabs. This type of coating is really catching on.
    I like it so much better than carpeting that I'll never go back!
    I'm looking at some new cabs and one of my requirements is this kind of coating!

3. ...if someone would do that in different colors. :eek: Yes, it's insane & absurd- but imagine: lemon yellow, white, seafoam green...
    Truck beds, too. :eyebrow:

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The PA company my band usually uses has the stuff on its mains and subs. Looks great, and I see them hammering doorways during load ins and outs on a regular basis.

They said they emptied the components from the cabinets, stripped them, and took them to a truck bedliner place to have them done.

Does make the cabs heavier, though.

5. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Better living through plastics...

http://www.scorpioncoatings.com/colors.asp

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    There are a number of different products for doing this. As these costings cure, they release or outgas some materials. As your pickup is out side as it cures, and the outgas qualtity is small, some of those materials can be not very healthy foryou. Cyanide is one of the by products that is outgassed by some of the spray on truck bed liner. You do not want that in your house. Period... I believe that Poly Shield outgasses water (vapor). You should check to see if there is an MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) available for the particular material you use as the outgassed material should be disclosed...

7. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I have that coating on my LDS cab...very durable and easy to clean!

8. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    +1. Far better covering than any carpeted cabinet. Very smart.

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I tried Rhino Lining on one of my DIY cabs. It's EXTREMELY tough, but it has one drawback - Weight. It was trying to make the cab as lightweight as possible, and succeeded. Then I got it covered and dang, the thing gained 3kg (About 6.6 pounds).

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Truck bed liner is very expensive to have professionally applied, and smelly awful stuff to work with DIY. DuraTex is what you should use, which, BTW, is used by many speaker manufacturers, including Carvin. http://www.acrytech.com/DuraTex.htm

11. I wonder if you can purchase Duratex in smaller quantities than five gallons.

12. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Where did you get it done and how much did it cost?

13. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Why? Just get five gallons and coat everything with it. :D

14. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    You can get it by the gallon, $45 plus shipping, which is enough to do four or five average cabs two or three coats.

15. Is Duratex less tough than spray on bedliner?

The spray on liner wears like iron.

16. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    It isn't going to hold up like a $200 professionally applied job. It isn't going to cost you $200 either. I find it better than a DIY aerosol bedliner.

17. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I just approached the local Rhino dealer (in Blacktown NSW), told him what I wanted to do. He'd never done a speaker cab before so he quoted me $120-$150 Australian Dollars depending on how hard it turned out to be and the size of the cab. It turned out to be pretty easy for him, and I thought itwas was pretty cheap all things considered. $200 US dollars seems a bit steep. Finally something that is cheaper over here :)