Spray on finish for cabinet build / repair?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I have heard of a kind of 'spray-on' tolex that you can use for speaker cabinets. Does anyone have any experience with this, or know where one can buy it?

I came across a couple of old 60s 15" speakers and just thought it would be fun to do something with 'em, so I am working on putting together a compact 215 cab. I would rather get a 'tolex' type finish than a carpet one, as it makes it seem more vintage. ;)
  2. I don't know, maybe the type of paint that they use for spray on box liners for pick-up trucks might work which is similar to that bumpy paint they also use to rust guard automobiles (don't know if it works on wood surfaces but I can't see why not). But I would have to agree that I don't like carpet and tolex even less.
  3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    My Euphonic Audio cab comes with some sort of spray on surface. It was actually a selling point for me. With cats in the house, I hate carpeted speakers and/or amps :mad: I think it is bumpier than the spray on truck liner, but truck liner is something I would try.

For the vintage look though, you have to use tolex.
  4. The spray-on box liner definitely works. I have seen it on wood and it looks great, and is very durable. I think it only comes in black.

The other finish, which Yorkville is now using on their cabs, is a spray-on polyurethene. I get the impression that it's much harder and more reminiscent of Tolex than the box liner. Maybe Harderman (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/member.php?u=23566) can tell you how to source urethene - he works for Axe Music. They used to make their own sound system cabs (still do??) and sprayed them with black polyurethene in their own shop.
  5. Gabu, I've got an idea for a cheap but vintage looking grill cloth. The stuff I've used is sold in broad line cloth stores. It's the small square mesh fabric used as deck chairs, umbrellas, cushion covers, all sorts of outdoor things. The stuff is a nylon mesh with a PVC coating. It stretches great, staples great and is acoustically transparent and finally tough.
    It comes in some gawdawful stripes but it also comes in white. That's the ticket!! You can paint it a real cool silver or an automotive metallic to mimic some of the sparkly fabrics of the time. You could also mask in a logo or design in the face for subtle mindblowing effects.
  6. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Thanks for all the advice so far, guys. :)

I am pretty interested in seeing how this turns out. I will snap some pics of it when I am done. Hopefully it comes out somewhat as I envision it. ;)
  7. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    A friend of mine who owns a "Rhino Linings" shop here in KC has sprayed a few bass cabinets with truck bed liner material. I'm probably going to have one done sometime this summer. I think most spray-on bedliner places will coat just about anything! :)

8. Not anymore... last I heard, he's been working for some company that works in some association with Axe music... otherwise I would've bought my last amp from him, and not some geeky salesman, who told me about his unfortunate resignation :bawl: . The Axe pride dropped a bunch when I heard that. He was always the person who knew what he was talking about at Axe. Now they have no one.
  9. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I had Bag End coat my Q10 with Line-X, and it turned out great. It looks good and might deflect an axe blow!
  10. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

The new Carvin BRX cabinets have that type of coating, and I really like it. Very tough.
  11. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    All of the current Yorkville painted "XC" cabinets and combos use something very similar to truck bed liner material. Hard as a rock and cleans very easy.
  12. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Just a note.....I've looked into this quite a bit.

Pretty much all the spray-on coatings are nasty stuff to work with. You need industrial positive pressure respirators and coveralls to spray the stuff like Rhino and Line-X (good stuff, BTW, got Line-X in my truck).

Get it done by a shop.

I have heard of a brush-on bedliner of similar type that can be done 'at home" , but I don't know what kind of finish it gives. Called "Herculiner", if I recall. I would be doubting it gives anything like a nice "tolex type" finish.
  13. bassplayer347

bassplayer347 Guest

Dec 24, 2003
    The paint shop at work uses some of the bed liner you can buy in the 1 gal. cans. They use a roller to apply it as a non slip surface. Turns out fairly smooth with a roller, a little rougher than tolex. They said it would come out pretty smooth if sprayed with a paint gun with a large tip, like for automotive under-coating. I'll try to post a pic to show the rolled finish
  14. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I built some PA subwoofers and treated them with a roll on truckbed paint. It dried very hard, and it very similar to what carvin uses on it's TCS series cabs. It is kinda expensive though. Some $40 a can from Walmart. I got a can of spray for inside the ports. Rhinoliner was going to do two of them for $150, but they didn't know how well it would turn out.