1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spray paint as a color coat?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by garth elson, Jul 25, 2008.

1. garth elson

garth elson

Aug 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I'm refinishing a guitar for a friend of mine, and he likes the relic look (lacquer checking, dents, exposed wood, etc.). Trouble is, I don't own a spray gun and know relatively little about finishing instruments. Is there any problem with colorcoating using spray paint vs. pigmented nitro?

It seems like it'd be fine, but hunches aren't much to go on...

2. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Go check out the Reranch (reranch.com). They offer nitro in aerosol cans in all the cool vintage colors. There are many of us here that use them. And don't forget the pics :D

3. garth elson

garth elson

Aug 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Thanks stu! Pictures will be posted here in probably a month or two after I get a heat gun. Apparently paintstripper is to guitar finish what a peashooter is to a Brinks truck.

4. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Heat guns can be cheap, and are easy to find. Be careful, have fun, and I'll be waiting for those pics :D

5. teej

teej Gold Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I build instruments out of my apartments 3' x 5' storage closet, so all I use is spray paint. I've used Duplicolor, ReRanch, ColorTone, and Deft spray finishes with great results.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021