1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spray paint my SKB rack case?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tbz, Jun 21, 2014.

1. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    SoCal
    I just got a white cab, and I'm considering spray painting my early 2000s SKB rack case to match it.

Has anyone tried this before, spray paint on a SKB molded plastic rack case? If so....did it look ok? I'd hate to ruin it and have to buy a new one.

2. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    good luck dealing with "road rash"! :rage:

3. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Well, you're not going to damage it in any way but the paint isn't likely to stick very well. Every time you scrape it against anything the paint will wear away and the black will show through. It's not likely to look very good for very long.

If you glue fake white fur to it on the other hand.... ;)

4. Hi.

Easy to do and very durable with correct paints and preps.

Back in the late 80's/early 90's when the plastic bumpers matching the colour of the body was the craze in MB's, over here anyway ;), we painted quite a few of them in the repair/paint shop I worked in.

If You're not into automotive plastic parts (re-) finishing, I'd suggest taking the rack to a place that is.
    The materials for a durable result aren't cheap, and usually the minimum amount that You can buy is way more than a rack will take, leaving you with a lot of waste.

The rattle can variety for plastic wasn't available back then, so no personal experience about their durability, but I for one wouldn't trust 'em.

Regards
    Sam

5. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    SoCal
    Thank you for the detailed reply Sam, I'd read online on an older forum that bumper paint would be the way to go. Sounds like that was accurate!

6. Hi.

You're welcome.

Even though I'm an old school "vehicles are made of metals" kind of a guy, and I do dislike Tupperware rides of any kind with a passion, the up-side of those rides has been the leaps of advancements on the finish products for plastics.

Regards
    Sam

7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I knew a guy who painted some SKB cases red and they looked real janky because he basically closed them up and painted everything. If he'd have masked the carry straps and aluminum valences, latches, etc they would have looked a lot better.

They also didn't take the paint very well and it would scratch off with just s little effort. That said, I have no idea what he did (if anything) to prep the cases and this was before you could get plastic specific paint in rattle cans so with proper prep and the right paint it might be a whole different story.

Either way I'd expect it would get knocked off if scraped very hard, but it wouldn't be that tough to touch up and from across a stage would be tough to tell it had been done.

FWIW I've used the Krylon plastic specific paint on flexible lexan and it stuck really well. It eventually started to come off, but only after several dousings with the nitro methane fuel we use in our toy race cars.

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion-for-plastic/