1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Spray paint on bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BackstagePlus, Jan 23, 2012.

1. BackstagePlus

BackstagePlus

Jan 20, 2012
    In My House
    My friend painted his imitation les paul gibson when he realized the flame on his sunburst was very spaced, to the point where you could tell it was fake, so he sanded it, spray painted it black, polished/buffed it, waxed it, and it looked like it was a real inky ebony gibson. l was wondering if this would be a good idea to to on a squier bass, of will it just flake off from the rumble of hinder tone, or was he just lucky his guitar came out so good?

2. Bassmanmike1

Bassmanmike1 Sittin' In Limbo Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Marysville, CA
  3. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    Hinder tone? What do you mean?
    I have done it on several instruments its cheap and it looks pretty good. Im definitely going to do it again.

4. vivifiction

vivifiction

Jan 22, 2011
    Texas
    I've done it to project basses and guitars before. If you take your time and make sure to let the lacquer really cure, it'll be fine. Just remember- Lots of lacquer.

5. Hi.

Something tells me it wasn't his first rattle-can paintjob?

Sure, it can be done, and quite a few people do it all the time, but depending on the materials, skills and the dedication, the outcome varies greatly ;).

Usually, when one finds him-/herself with the talent for finishing, the rattle cans are very quiclky discarded though. The cost of the paintjob quickly halves at least when switching to "real" stuff.

Regards
    Sam

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

7. BackstagePlus

BackstagePlus

Jan 20, 2012
    In My House
    Ok, seems like a good idea then... as for Odin 70, hinder tone means will it dull my sound or whatnot, but it appears to be no problem, thanks for the input.

8. HertzWhenIPlay

HertzWhenIPlay

Jan 15, 2011
    I like things that go BOOM
    i used rattle cans on a project bass and it came out great, just how I wanted it. i did the majority of my research on talkbass and am planning to do another soon. If i continue refinishing basses for myself, i might invest in some spray equipment because the cost of rattle cans adds up quickly if using high quality products.

9. Striku

Striku

May 20, 2014
    ismo
    Well, I know im kinda late but i think spray works just fine, just take a look at my jazz bass i recently painted red with just spray 2014-10-01 15.00.19.