Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spraying a resin bodied bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by far0n, Nov 6, 2005.

1. far0n

far0n

Apr 28, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    I have a status 4000 resin bodied bass. It is bloody marvellous to play and sounds great but it's the most depressing colour I've ever known. A kind of awful grey colour. Anyway, I wanted to change it's colour. Anyone have and words of advice as to what steps to take? It's a going to be a single colour, nothing fancy. Thanks

Faron

2. Any good automotive style paint would be your best bet for durability and great looks. They require special mixing and applying but are worth it in the end.

3. far0n

far0n

Apr 28, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    What is the best method of removing the existing finish?

4. What bass is this? If it's a brand that has a thick clear coat, you can start with a coarse grade sandpaper like 120 to get to the color coat. If it doesn't have a thick finish, I would begin with 220 wet until the paint is mostly done then finish off with 400 then maybe 600. If the bass is one that has a "skin" type finish ala Cort Curbow, you've got to be careful not to sand through this surface. That's what keeps the top smooth. If you break through this, you'll have a porous material underneath and you'll have to fill it to get it back to a paintable surface. I would caution not to use chemical strippers because you don't know what might react with the body. You don't want a gooey blob when you're done!

5. far0n

far0n

Apr 28, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    A status 4000, it appears to have a two layer paint / laquer finish on it. I can tell 'cos the lacquer is flaking off slightly in certain places.