1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Spraymax 2k still soft

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by happychicken, Mar 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. happychicken

happychicken

Jan 24, 2012
    Hi all I recently used spraymax to clear a refinish. It was very cold in my garage when I sprayed it around 40 degrees and I got some runs but no big deal. However the clear is still soft 2 days later. I brought it inside last night and put it next to radiator and it felt a little harder this morning. Would baking it in the oven for a few hours help? Thanks

2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I would not put it in an oven.

When those burners cycle they throw far more heat than what the thermocouple is set at, trying to reach the set point as fast as possible.

You may end up with scorched finish.

I think you should keep it inside and wait it out.

bholder and T_Bone_TL like this.
  3. happychicken

happychicken

Jan 24, 2012
    That’s a great point thank you!
    I read on an auto forum that the catalyst in clear coat will go dormant if temp is under 65 degrees. Then it won’t harden at all. My basement is about 62 so hopefully it will work.

4. Frederiek

Frederiek

Aug 8, 2016
    Netherlands
    This is absolutely from the low spraying temperature, DO NOT try to speed up the drying. The offgassing of this type of lacquer is really important and if you force heating, the top layer will harden and the lacquer underneath will remain soft for an indefinite amount of time. The lower drying temperature may work in your advantage, but I think 67-ish would be best. Maybe see if you can get the temperature there slightly up and have patience :) Same thing happened to me once and I already feared I'd have to redo it, but it did harden nicely in about 3 weeks at room temperature.

5. happychicken

happychicken

Jan 24, 2012
    Thanks! It is definitely getting harder. I hope this is a 2k urethane or I may have a lot more problems!

6. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    I guess it’s acrylic. At least the Spraymax 2k I’ve bought was acrylic.

7. happychicken

happychicken

Jan 24, 2012
    Thanks all! Patience has won and I am knocking it down with 800 right now preparing for flow coat. Thanks everyone again as your feedback saved this bass from burning in an oven

charlie monroe likes this.