1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Spring/slide/lever activated foam mutes?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bongomania, Apr 9, 2006.

1. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm planning on doing some Jamerson-style thumping, and everyone says some foam muting down by the bridge is an important element of that. Easy enough for me to put a bridge cover on my P bass (already has holes for it) and stick some foam in there, but I was wondering about mechanically-operated alternatives so I wasn't stuck with just one tone.

(And I did ask this Q over in "technique" re: palm muting, so that's definitely an option I'm going to work on.)

Anyway, my old Ovation Typhoon had a spring-action bridge cover with foam, and my old Ovation Magnum had a slide-action mechanism to raise and lower the foam, and I hear Rics may have something similar. Does anyone know of an aftermarket foam muting mechanism I could install? I'm willing to drill a couple of holes in the body. Thx!

2. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
  3. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Thanks Aj*. The price is a bit steep as you say... but it might be worth it if there's nothing else competing.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've got one on my fretted Bongo, and it's great. I was lucky enough to find one used on Talkbass, though.

It works exactly as advertised.

[​IMG]

I have mine permanently installed with screws, but it comes with an adhesive back that is plenty strong to attach it to a bass. I used the screws since it had already been attached to one bass with adhesive when I got it, and I moved it between three basses before I settled on the fretted Bongo.

I've not tried it with any roundwounds, but it sounds wonderful with flats. I still use palm muting, but to be able to use a pick by the end of the fretboard with the mute engaged is one of my favorite bass sounds and you can't simultaneously palm mute by the bridge and pick by the fretboard. Maybe if you have monkey fingers, which I don't--in spite of my name. :D

5. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey

best looking bongo ever? that makes me actually want one :)

the inlays rock, and the knobs routed inside the body are always a cool touch. and the red on the 'guard? sweet.

6. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I agree, that is the nicest-looking bongo I've seen out of the several dozen posted here on TB. Very sweet. Glad to hear the mutes work well too!