Springs Vs. Foam To Raise P-Bass Pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Mar 25, 2013.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I've got a Fender P-Bass Lyte Deluxe that I want to raise the P-bass pickup higher than it can go. Kind of a "proprietary" design to this pickup as it has a grounding plate underneath with some foam between the pickup and the plate.

Just wondering what the best method of raising the pickup would be. I've got some foam weatherstripping I could add underneath the grounding plate or would adding some springs to the pickup screws be better? I rest my thumb on the pickup so the springs would have to be pretty high tension so the pickup doesn't sink in, i.e. a spring from a ballpoint pen probably wouldn't cut it!

These are the springs I found on Stewart-McDonald's website:
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electro...eight_Springs.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=9714
    Think either of these would work or should I try the foam first?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Good springs last longer and don't vibrate but only use them with threaded inserts.
    If you use them with wood screws, the upward force tends the wear the holes quickly.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    Has to be foam, or the cover would stay up but the pickup itself would fall in.

You pull the plate away and put the extra foam between it and the bottom of the pickup.

4. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    I'm no luthier...
    When I replaced a pickup on my guitar I used some foamy stuff, similar to what was in there originally. What came in the package with the pickup was short lengths of plastic tubing to act as compression springs - but I used the foamy stuff.

I worry about springs - and masses supported by springs - having resonances. This may be groundless, but my preference was having something that wouldn't vibrate and would be acoustically insulated/isolated from the body. So far, it's working for me, but I'm always open to learning a better technique if there is one...

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022