Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sprint makes me very unhappy.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I have a sprint phone. It works fine. I have 300 minutes for $30, nights starting at 8pm. My contract expired a few months ago. Lately, I've been getting really close to the limit, and not wanted to pay .50$ a minute, I call Sprint about the "fair and flexible" plan, the plan they have a commercial for every ten minutes. I am put on hold for five minutes. I finally reach a woman who I believe is in India, who says she has never heard of the plan. After a minute or two I realize how retarded it is that I'm explaing the plan to her, and ask to speak to someone else. I am put on hold for 25 minutes. Luckily I am at work, so I put it on speaker phone and eat lunch.
    Eventually someone picks up. -this person actually does know what the "fair and flexible" plan is. She informs me that to get the plan, my monthly charge will go up 5$, my nights will start at 9pm instead of 8pm, unless I want to pay $5 more, and that I must sign a two year contract. -So to get what I already have with the added overage protection, I have to pay at least $240 more over the next two years in addition to whatever the overages are. I tell her I would happily sign a one year contract if my account would stay the same with the overage protection added to it. She says that my request is impossible. I ask if she is trying to lose me as a customer on purpose. She says there is nothing I can do, then begins telling me about my new fair and flexible plan. I tell her she is not to touch my account and that I'm off to check out the competition. I actually have to raise my voice a little to get her to stop, confirm that she has not changed my account, and get off the phone.

I hate them, and wish gout and herpes upon them all.

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Yup. Get Verizon. I recently renewed my old plan with them, I didn't have to shop around for a new plan.

3. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    they say they don't offer service in my county. they do one county over. :meh:

My options seem to be Sprint, T-Mobile (had them before, my bill was ALWAYS wrong eg $299 for a lost handset, whatever that means, I had the free $30 Nokia they were giving out at the time) or Cingular. I would like to have Verizon, or Nextel (I hear incoming is free).

4. I'd tell you to get Verizon if they didn't just charge me for $50 for a tiny piece of rubber after my phone broke after using it for only a few months. (sure, it would turn on, but it would turn off immediately after it finished booting up... They did replace the phone though, but still.)

edit: I guess they don't have it anyhow. Don't be too upset. :meh:

5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    If I wanted to pay an additional 5$ a month I could sign up for Sprints replacement plan. -That way I could pay for my phone once again every year. -just think, at the end of my two year contract I'll have bought it three times over! Worst insurance ever. Where's the big @$#$%*% rolleyes? :rolleyes: :spit: :scowl:

6. JTbass

JTbass

Jul 2, 2004
    Asutin TX
    i hate sprint so much im not even gonna go into it. but the thing is is that all cell phone companies are rediculous. its amazing to me how many small charges for the stupidest things they can add to your bill. its just like cable companies. im hoping that in the future of standards of cell phone policies and contracts, somehow customers will not be cheated every step of the way.

7. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I was just looking around at other companies and realized, no matter what I do, I'm not going to get a better deal. Blows.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Check out this thread from a few months back.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135938

The FCC has reports that show the number of complaints they get regarding each cell phone company. Here the 2003 numbers arranged from fewest complaints to most complaints adjusted for number of subscribers:

1. Verizon had the fewest complaints
    2. Nextel
    3. Cingular
    4. T-Mobile
    5. Sprint
    6. AT&T had the most complaints

So if it were just based purely on that I guess I'd go Cingular out of your three choices and considering that they have pretty good coverage too...more extensive than T-Mobile for sure.

Actually, Bliss, I see that you posted in that thread now that I've written all that but it can't hurt to post it here again. :p

brad cook

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, I hate how cell companies do the nicke-and-dime-you-to-death thing but my cable company doesn't do that...or at least I haven't seen it yet.

brad cook

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I did have that list in mind. I really wish I could get Verizon ot Nextel. On the Verizon website, it says to enter the zipcode in which you plan to use the phone the most. I wonder if they would sell me one anyway if I put the next town over, which is in thier area.

11. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Oh man, whatever you do, don't do ANYTHING with Sprint!

I was with them 3 years ago..My contract was getting ready to expire, so I go online and find a new phone to buy. I call them up, order it (about $200). Not a day goes by (over the weekend mind you) and I find that T-Mobile is running a great deal, etc, etc. I call Sprint and cancel my phone order, no problem, I should receive a refund in the next day or so.

Here is where it gets bad. Instead of cancelling and refunding my money, they CHARGE me another $200! I call them up immediately, sit on hold for 45 minutes, this person can't help me, they transfer me somewhere else, hold 45 minutes. This went on for 2 weeks. I got transferred to departments that have nothing to do with phone sales. I even got transferred to a tech support line at one time. It seemed like the more I yelled, the more I was put on hold. At that point, i gave up and called my bank, who gladly reversed the charges with Sprint.

After all this, I'm still fighting (literally) with the credit agency because they still want me to pay them $460 (now with a $60 "broker" fee) even though I sent them all the info on what happened to dispute the report.

I have a strike on my credit report now thanks to SprintPCS until/if this is resolved. Hopefully its all resolved now, since I haven't heard anything back in the last month, but if not, I'm sure I'll have to take some legal action.

Moral of the story? SPRINT SUCKS, STAY FAR AWAY!

I'm on Verizon now and can't be happier. Their rates aren't the best, but they have great service and I never have reception problems like I did before.

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

Yeah that's the only thing. You pay about 10 bucks extra per month for generally better service and reception. For those who've been bent over by other providers it's worth it. I never have but I'm probably going to end up paying the ten bucks and going with Verizon anyway...probably.

brad cook

13. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    It's worth it.

14. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Do you know/work with anybody in the next county over? When I was in Toronto in August, I was still getting reception from the States. You may be close enough to some Verizon towers.

If you are able to get Verizon, I think they automatically sign you up for a "new every two" plan with no extra monthly fee. When I renewed, after the $100 discount and rebate I basically got a free $200 camera phone.

15. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I work in Hampshire county a lot, in fact I'm there most of the time. I live in Franklin county, but the Verizon reception is excellent as I'm only 3.5 miles from the highway.

Sprint actually does have an 18 month $150 credit for new phones, which is cool. The thing is, my phone is the only thing I like about Sprint. The Sanyo 8100 (I got the good battery too) is a rock solid phone.

16. Can Blisshead hear me now?

Nope.

(that geeky Verizon guy)

17. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Very funny. :spit:

18. are you surprised by that? i have found that being pleasant and calm always works better than angry and loud. delta airlines helped me out when i was nice, but they pretty much ignored me when i was terse.

i'm not anti-sprint. i've had generally great service and never had any billing issues.

that said, if verizon were in mississippi, i would get it. my sprint phone is on its way out after a year and a half, so i'm thinking of going t-mobile. why? because they don't require a 2-year service contract. no more sprint for me. i am also considering cingular. haven't decided yet. one of my criteria, be it minor, is reception in northern michigan, where my in-laws have a cabin we visit twice a year. it would be nice to have reception up there, where sprint pcs fears to tread. t-mobile has it, but i'm not sure about cingular.

robb.

19. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I was, and remain pleasant. It is very trying though, when the person your speaking to is unaware of the products their company offers and comes of with an attitude of"well, what can you do about it?!?!" I sent one finally email to sprint, pleasantly detailing my situation, with my take on what shoudl happen. If they do not respond favorably, I'm switching.

20. Dude, I'm in the same boat with Cingular. I can't make a cell call from my house. I personally hate Verizon...but at least they had that going for them....

I ALMOST abandonned my landline....oh well. :D