1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SPST Potentiometer

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by myauntdidLSD, Jan 19, 2012.

1. myauntdidLSD

myauntdidLSD

Aug 8, 2011
    Does anyone have a diagram to hook this up to toggle between two pickups? This paticular pot has two horizontal rows with 3 terminals on the bottom row and 2 terminals (no middle) on the top. Thanks in advance for any help. I forgot to add that it's a push pull.

2. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    The outside terminals are your input and ground connections for the pickups (I forget which is which). The center terminal is output.

Hope this helps.

3. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    This... does not sound like any standard push/pull pot that I've seen. Most push/pulls have two vertical columns of three terminals each, and those are DPDT - basically two SPDTs stuck together, and that can easily be used for switching between two pickups.

Can you take a photo of that?

4. myauntdidLSD

myauntdidLSD

Aug 8, 2011
  5. Those are pots that click off to at one end of the rotation.
    They are generally used in applications like radios, where you want the volume knob to turn off the power when you turn it all the way down.

If you want to do pickup selection, first off, you will need a switch with two throws, and second, you will probably want a push/pull switch, so that you can actually use the switch without having to turn the pot all the way down.

Why did your aunt do LSD? :confused:

6. myauntdidLSD

myauntdidLSD

Aug 8, 2011
    The one i have is a push pull.

7. It's still useless if it's SPST. You will need a SPDT/DPDT switch in order to select between pickups. Unless you just want to switch one pickup on and off, while the other is always on.

8. myauntdidLSD

myauntdidLSD

Aug 8, 2011
    Thats exactly what i want actually.

9. Ok, then wire the pickup hots to either side of the switch, then pick one to be the output.

10. myauntdidLSD

myauntdidLSD

Aug 8, 2011
    So when the pot is pulled out both sections are active?

11. If it's a normally open switch, then yes.
    Check with an Ohm meter, if you have one.

12. myauntdidLSD

myauntdidLSD

Aug 8, 2011
    When pushed in, the top section with 2 terminals shows 0 and I get a 1 when pulled out. So should i have two outputs running from the the pot, with both pickups sharing a common ground?