1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spud's easy to follow piezo installations thread

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by spudmaster34, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Well, replacing the nut was only part one in a series of misfourtunes that my squire will be subjected to in the name of tutorials.

same disclamer as before, there are beter ways to do this, this is a tutorial on how to do it inexpensivley and simply. it should be read as such

I wanted to install a piezo, I had been wondering for awhile how it would sound if you put a piezo in the neck pocket instead of the bridge, installing one under the bridge would be easier, but I thought this would sound beter.

PREP WORK:
    Choose the bass, in my case, it's this squire.
    nsbasspiezowork001.jpg

Make sure you have all the stuff you will need. the piezo that will be installed (I got mine here http://www.windworld.com/products/msipu.htm ), a screw driver, a bass, a power drill, solder, and a soldering iron

DECONSTRUCTION:

You will have to take your bass apart if it is going in the neck pocket

nsbasspiezowork003.jpg
    (several key pieces kept in a lacrosse stick for safty

nsbasspiezowork004.jpg
    (neck removed)

nsbasspiezowork005.jpg
    (pickguard removed)

READYING THE BODY:
    At this point I had to take it down to my workshop (basement) which looks somehting like this
    nsbasspiezowork006.jpg

good lighting is important

I realized that I had forgotten to take out the pickups/electronics so i did that and used this nifty magnet to hold everything together
    nsbasspiezowork008.jpg

as you can see
    nsbasspiezowork009.jpg
    drill bits arn't really long enough to drill the hole, most people would get around this by ussing a router, but because I was doing this tutorial, I did it with a drill and sand paper, because those seem like they would be more likely for the average person to have.
    first I scorred the finish with an exacto blade so the finish didnt all chip off, then I drill a few holes inside the scorred area
    nsbasspiezowork010.jpg
    I then used sand-paper to smooth it out

nsbasspiezowork013.jpg

INTALLATION:
    well, I can't help you much here because I don't know how you want it attatched to the controlls, but here is a great soldering tutorial for you http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195951&highlight=soldering

Once I had it attatched, I put it in the neck pocket and reassembled everything nsbasspiezowork014.jpg
    From what I can tell, it sounds pretty cool, i had some trouble because due to the recent tunning change (B-E-A-D) the neck was kind of backbowed

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    FYI any hardware store should have 12" or longer drill bits that would do that without a problem.

Very cool though.

3. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    Interesting !

4. I love this idea, it could work out really nicely on my jazz without a pickguard. Would you do us the pleasure of more thoroughly describing its sound?

5. Well, I think the piezo sound was kind of fadded because the shortest cord i had was 8' long and it suggests no more than 5' for a passive bass, but it sounded generally "woody" I think that is probably the best I can describe it

6. -Sam-

-Sam-

Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    really cool. How did you wire it in though? did you just attach it to the volume pot or replace the pick up or what?

7. I changed the tone controll into volume, so it is one volume for the p pups, and one for the piezo

8. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    I guess that if someone would like to keep the tone control he\she can add 1 volumen control for the piezo right?

9. I wonder if adding an active buffer or plugging the piezo directly into a high-impedence input would drastically change the sound's characteristics?

10. absolutely, a stacked pot would probably be the best way to do that, but I found that in a blind test, that tone controll made no noticable difference, and that was playing by myself, in a band setting, it did less than nothing