Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spyro Gyra's Many Bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by cassanova, Dec 24, 2002.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I was downloading the Road Scholars cd and was wondering if that was Scott Ambush layin it all down or one of the many other bassists they've had? Who ever it is, is frightening. Very skilled player and tastefull too. Especially on the 1st track. The groove he creates when he locks in with the drummer is just sick.

2. Kim Stone
    Roberto Vally
    Oscar Cartaya
    Scott Ambush

.......... are all sick monster bass players.

S G don't mess around, never have, never will.

Good find, cass.

B

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Perhaps I shouldve listend to the entire cd before posting this thread. They say whos doing the bass work, drums and other things too 1/2 way through the cd. Its Scott alright.

That mans wicked good. Time to start trying to emulate his style a bit and work it into my own.

Thanks for the links Smash they are making a good read, especially the 1st one. Havent gotten around to checkin out all the links on the yahoo one yet though.

4. All of the Spyro Gyra members are top notch in terms of taste, tone, time, groove, and musical maturity.

That's why I've been a fan of instrumental music (especially contemporary jazz) for many many years - the music has to hold up, it has nothing to do with the singer or the story.

Scott is starting to catch the well-deserved attention of bassists.

;)
    B

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    When I first started listening to SG(1976?), they still had their original bassist, Jim Kurzdorfer(played a Music Man Sting Ray)...Will Lee(at the time, I knew him as the Breckers Bros' bassist) also began cropping up on their albums.
    Marcus Miller & Eddie Gomez, too, played bass on some of their early albums.
    The band was almost a studio band by that time; eventually, they did hire a road bassist named David __________.
    Sorry can't recall his last name; he was pretty decent, though he never did get to record with the group.

Oskar Cartaya is a smoker!
    ...as is Scott Ambush.

I always liked how SG incorporated Latin-ish feels into their brand of contemporary "Jazz".

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Weird thing.......I was at the Bottom Line in N.Y.C.
    when Spyro's second album came out, and I had a advance copy so I didn't see the credits......I was sitting at a table with studio people I knew had reserved, and Will Lee was at the table, and I leaned over to Will and said man.......that dosen't sound like Kurzdorfer on the new album.....and he said your right it was me!

7. Yes, the Latin-ish sound is prominent in much of their material. Quite fond of it meself!

Oh, and.... Dave Samuels on vibes and marimba-
    It is nothing short of amazing, how that man sings with mallets. To see him live.... is truly beyond incredible.

(...got .... to get...... a Spyro Gyra fix....... soon.... can't take it much longer.... help me....)

:oops: ;) :D
    B

8. :D

That Will - is it just me or is he on everything?

Next time you see him, tell him to get a real job.

B

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i had a chance to hang out with oscar for a weekend, both he and ed calle (sax God - records with Arturo Sandoval) came down to testify at a field Congressional hearing that the Musicians' Union put together to investigate the latin recording industry. both these guys are awesome. i got to play a few tunes with ed calle, but oscar stayed in his hotel room (he was tired from touring with JLo)

oscar has a website, it's cool: oscartaya.com

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    thats one thing I admire about these guys too. i kinda kill two birds with one stone. I get the "smooth jazz" and latin all rolled into one with them.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    You may also like The Caribean Jazz Project w/ Dave Samuels, Steve Khan, Keith Jones(a very happenin' bassist), et al.
    In fact, Samuels had 2 nice late '80s(?) releases that would fit your definition of "smooth Jazz w/ Latin"-
    One disc has Jimmy Haslip & William Kennedy; I think the other has Patitucci & Kennedy.
    Nice, inoffensive stuff!

12. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Dave Samuels had a band called Double Image with Harvie Swartz on bass, in fact they opened the Spyro Gyra Bottom line gig I was talking about. I still have one of their albums......Harvie has been a great player for a long time!

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I first remember Will from doing bass and vocals on "Sneaking Up Behind You" by the Breckers. Then "Some Skunk Funk" floored me.

14. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    When I first heard that one I was floored too.

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Add me to that list!
    About a month ago, I'm playing with a drummer(local Jazz guru), a guitarist(previously worked with) & a trumpet player(current music major)...all good readers 'cept for me(of course).

They're callin' tunes outta the Real Book & the trumpet player suggests "Some Skunk Funk"...yeah, right. Not this white boy.
    Do you guys actually play that 7/8 bar?
    My little comment was that it was a 4/4 bar that had an 1/8 note cut off...
    ;)

Neil Jason also played this tune on one of those Brecker albums, too...right?

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    "Some Skunk Funk" marked my transition period from trumpet to bass. I used to play in a horn section that played it... but I was drawn to the bass guitar.

The fun thing is to imagine this is one in context, at the time it came out. There weren't too many songs like it.

17. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Neil Jason does a killer version on the Brecker's live album ' Heavy Metal Bebop'........that album is a smoker.......Neil had a killer J-Bass tone!

18. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    how long did you play trumpet? that's my main axe and major bread winner right now. i have been a pro trumpet player for only about 11 years. who were your influences?

19. The Lowest

The Lowest

May 17, 2002
    New Jersey
    Dave Wofford

20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I guess I stopped when I was around 19... started in elementary school. I was what I'd consider a good mimic but listening to Freddy Hubbard made it clear I didn't have a clue, I couldn't "see" the trumpet. OTOH I "see" bass just fine, it came very natural to me.

This was back in the 70's and I didn't limit myself to listening to trumpet players. I listened to Dizzy, Louis Armstrong, Doc Severinsen, Miles, Randy Brecker, the big Jazz Rock horn sections like Chicago, etc. For some reason Hubcap (Hubbard) just kicked my butt.

After a few years doing four set gigs in a Funk horn section, I made the switch permanently. I'd been teaching myself bass for a couple of years and I was pretty much a natural.