Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spyware in AIM profile

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rangerz715, Dec 5, 2003.

1. I recently clicked on a link in one of my friend's profile that looked like this-I can't believe I found %n's Picture here
    HAHAHA

The word "here" was a link. I stupidly downloaded the files when I went there and nothing happened at the website. I then realized it was all spyware so I ran Ad-aware and Spybot S&D which caught a HUGE amount of spyware from this website. Today when i check my profile I saw
    I can't believe I found %n's Picture here
    HAHAHA
    Now I can't get rid of it. I have tried writing something else in my profile but it keeps coming back. I reinstalled AIM but it is still there. If anybody has any ideas of how to get rid of it I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much.

2. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Its a virus, i got it too. I got rid of it with adaware. There are other things to d oto get rid of it, ill try to find them.

3. -turn off system restore (control panel > system > system restore tab

-use the search to find any files named "b.exe" and delete those

-reboot

-use adaware to clean up the adware on your computer

-the end

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    before you complete the final step in clef360's instructions, remember to turn System Restore back on.

-Mike

5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    whats the one that says "Whoa!!!! look what I found, click here!"

thats a virus right?

6. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah, thats the one, dont click on it.

7. Easy. I've had this one. It's not b.exe-that's for the "Whoahhh, look what I found here!" one.

Press ctrl+alt+delete.

Go to processes.

End Av.exe

Do a search for Av.exe on your hard drive. (I believe it's in windows/system32)

Delete it.

Change your profile.

8. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

:mad:

After the Paris Hilton Horrors today, this thread
    just hurts.

:rolleyes:
    Thor

9. Well I finally got rid of it. Found a webstite called http://www.jayloden.com/ that has a removal program for it and the Whoa, Look what I found here. Thanks everybody for your help.

10. my girlfriend got it worse i think. her keyboard stopped working properly, her font changed. I just told her to reformat the computer, cause none of the other things worked. At least thats waht she said, she isnt really that good with computers.

11. Two of my friends got it. I was smart enough not to click on it.

So I sent them both Spybot S&D.

They're fine now.

One of my friends got IM'd be someone and he got it that way.

Probably some ************* from a chatroom.

12. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    ok, the adaware didnt work. Whats spybot and SnD?