Spyware: Messenger Service

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Does anyone know how to kill this crap that infected my computer. Every so often I get this pop up that says messenger service, and has one stupid type of ad or another. It really messes you up if running applications that don't take well to minimizing.

How do I kill it? Thanks!
  2. Try Ad-aware

That link is for the latest version and you can't actually download it until February...BAH!

This should get you the last version 5.83
  3. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    To get rid of SpyWare.. use Ad-Aware. it works perfectly!

Its free, and it cleans out any SpyWare from your system registry to just files on the harddrive

Good luck

4. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    grr DrDrill.. u beat me by a minute!!!

5. It must be my superior, superfast, one finger typing method that saved me time :D
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany

How-To for Windows XP:

1. Click Start->Control Panel

2. Click Performance and Maintenance

3. Click Administrative Tools

4. Double click Services

5. Scroll down and highlight "Messenger"

6. Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.

7. Click the STOP button.

8. Select Disable or Manual in the Startup Type scroll bar

9. Click OK
  7. BigTed

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    are you using XP? If so, you can disable "messaging." Run compmgmt.msc. Its in your C:\Windows\System32 folder. Then go to the "services" icon and change messaging and messenger to "disabled." You can also kill MSmessenger by going into gpedit.msc and disabling it under "windows components"

Do you have a direct cable or dsl connection? If so, do yourself a favor and download ZoneAlarm. Its a free software firewall that I have found to be very useful for small-scale home computing.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Or just follow JMX's link above :p
  8. Thanks alot JMX and BigTed! That did the trick!
  9. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    that messanger service spam is SO weak. but it's even weaker that it comes turned on by default :( i would think that 90% of windows users don't need this thing, so why not just turn it off?
  10. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    and obviously no thanks to me and DrDrill. *psh*

11. Well, I certainly appreciate it, but that stuff was stuff that I had to download and install, and all the hassle, while JMX and BigTed hit the needle on the head.
  12. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    True that. BTW Ad-Aware won't stop those stupid MSN Messenger ads, neither will Pop Up Killer. I use Zone Alarm Pro and it certainly does!! :cool:
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member