1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Square 4X12s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sound Chaser, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Does anyone actually still make them?

2. Do you mean straight cabs?

3. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    66_barrackspromo.

Like those.

4. Im pretty sure most 4x12s are like that

5. marshall still makes them for bass... peavey might, i know they have recently but it might have been discontinued.

6. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Marshall recently stopped making them, and most of them that I know of (Mesa, Aguilar, etc) are fridge-shaped.

7. Marshall will probably have a new one out at some point in the near future.

Ampeg makes one im sure, Peavey do or used to (in recent history)

8. mm saw some in a shop a while ago pretty temptanised

9. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Neither Ampeg nor Peavey makes one right now, I'm afraid.

10. HeavyFingers

HeavyFingers

Mar 18, 2006
    NOVA
    Isn't the fridge shaped 4x12's a better speaker placement setup than the square kind? Vertical arrays and all that stuff.

11. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i know a guy who uses some old genz benz 4x12 for bass. another who uses a marshall guitar cab loaded with webers.

i think that if you use speakers that are rated not but so high you don't have to worry so much about dimensions and volume (of the cab) as the speakers take up less room on the inside of the cab.

i could be way off.

i dropped some tech soundsystem speakers in an old sunn cab, and some black widows in a sunn 215B (p.a. cab) and neither cabinet was any worse sounding for having "the wrong" speakers in it. (the original speakers were blown in both, btw.)

i figure if you find the tallest and deepest square 4x12, and drop some 100w bass speakers in it you should be in good shape.

again, i could be totally wrong.

12. Carvin makes top and bottom 4x12 cabinets for a least their Legacy series.

Paul

13. jvdb

jvdb

Jul 26, 2006
  14. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I'm pretty sure those are 10s, but they don't have anything on those cabs on their site at all.

15. Lemmy plays with 4x15" cabs :bassist: :D. They're ridiculous! I don't really know how a 4x12 sounds, so I'm out!

16. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Those are 8x12s.

17. Either Lemmy is an even four foot, eleven inches, or those are 4x12s.

18. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The bottom cab is a 4x15.