1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

square or rounded?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThingsAbove, Mar 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ThingsAbove

ThingsAbove

Jul 11, 2011
    For some reason I'm hung up on the shape of the end a fingerboard at the heel.

There are a lot of great basses out there with a square heel but I want to see that good 'ole Fender style rounded heel on a bass. How can I overcome my loathing of square heels?

2. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Buy a G&L.....feel the cure.

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Is not like square heels negatively effecting your life?

4. Bikeguy57

Bikeguy57 Supporting Member

Warmoth

5. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Try a Sadowsky. Then you'll feel like a real heel for not falling head over heels for square heels.

JRA, dbsfgyd1, 3bc and 2 others like this.
  6. ThingsAbove

ThingsAbove

Jul 11, 2011
    I believe it is... I can't seem to bring myself to purchase a bass with a square heel... I just stare and stare at those sharp corners and wonder why it wasn't finished... yet I want to play it, but I can't... the pain, the pain

7. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Reminds me of the old joke:
    Area of a circle, Pi R squared? Everybody knows pie are round, cake are squared!

JC Nelson likes this.
  8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Hope this helps...The first Fender bass had a square heel so the "good 'ole Fender style" heel was actually square.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    Picton likes this.
  9. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Er, what, err...what, i just don't know. Normal service will now resume, thank you.

10. ThingsAbove

ThingsAbove

Jul 11, 2011
    Well at least they corrected their error.

MattZilla likes this.
  11. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Not really. They decided telecaster: square, Strat: round. Makes perfect sense right?

12. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    The fact remains, the "good ole Fender" style neck heel was square. Several other similar Fender bass models, some still being made today, have had a square heel.

Not to mention the Telecaster guitar has had a square heel since it's inception.

13. ThingsAbove

ThingsAbove

Jul 11, 2011
    I'd prefer facts not enter the discussion... I'm obviously dealing with some deep mental trauma which has produced an unnatural fear of sharp corners...

Are there any bass design features that make you avert your gaze?

Scott Baiowulf likes this.
  14. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Sorry, facts are facts. But those facts should make it easier to come to grips with the issue.

Nope. They're all just basses.

15. kentiki

kentiki

May 14, 2008
    Aren't the majority of bolt on necks rounded?

16. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Right!

[​IMG]

17. No contest, rounded sounds sooo much sweeter. The square ones are really harsh although you can mellow the harsh a bit if you have a tort pick guard.

Jesuguru, dbsfgyd1, Sid Fang and 5 others like this.
  18. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    Sadowskys have a round heel. Only the fingerboard is square. So that's a compromise :)

MattZilla and RBrownBass like this.
  19. This is quite possibly the one thing I've never thought about before buying a bass....

20. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I do not like square heels, but it doesn’t matter what I like.