Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Square Wave

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Petary791, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Could somebody explain to me what Square Wave is? I have it on my Ampeg, but it's so absurd! It just sounds like awful fuzz that's EXTREMELY loud.

2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    A square wave is just that, the waveform has virtually straight sides and flat tops. Put the words "square wave" into Google Image Search and have at it. It is also the approximate look of a signal that is severely clipped. That is what overdrive distortion is. The input signal is larger than the output can duplicate so the signal "flat tops" and it looks like a square wave.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Easiest way is to look at it like this:

Your original signal is blue, a standard sine wave. When you start to clip, or overdrive, you lose part of the wave and get clipping shown in the yellow. When you start to get more and more towards a square wave, like the red on here, it gets fuzzier and fuzzier sounding.

[​IMG]

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Square wave is great :D

5. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    So a od pedal gives you the yellow, and a fuzz pedal gives you the red line? Sorry, but I am a n00b when it comes to pedals.

6. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    yes, but take in consideration that the img is a representation of a senoidal wave, and your bass signal is NOT senoidal (but a sum of LOTS of sonidals)

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So right now i'm looking for some crazy bassy "fuzz," but i'm not looking for the harshness/trebleness of a Big Muff. Listen to the song "Third Eye" to tell what I want. I know he uses a RAT, so i'm thinking about getting a bass modded RAT, but I think a Square Wave would be awesome to get, but alas, I don't know any Square Wave pedals. Anyone have any suggestions for me?

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Check out those effects sites. A lot of self styled "boutique" builders make fuzz pedals (and not much else)

Pedalgeek, Musictoyz and tonefactor are the ones I visit.

9. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    You might end up looking at something like a synth.

10. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    The Korg G5 has a square wave feature.

11. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Nah, more just like really really bassy fuzz.

12. i have the ehx microsynth, and i found a setting to use only the sqaure wave, its amazing, y dont use any other disortion/overdrive of fuzz pedal, it rocks

13. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    After listening to your guys's suggestions, I think i'm gonna go with the Wooly Mammoth. The only thing is that it's 300 freaking dollars. :crying:

The tone is just so good...

14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Make sure you try one for real before. It's useless for most people and much more agressive than most others, too. It doesn't seem to fit at all in the description you gave us.

15. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Alright. The sound clips online sound exactly like what I want, but i'll try to play it before I buy it.

16. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Just my thought. Wish I had the cash for one. :meh:

17. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Remember that the clip on zvex's web site is compressed quality. It's a bit sharper and gritty when you hear it in person.

18. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

And much more difficult to control, too.

19. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Ah, ok. I'll think of some other options then.

Yay for marketing...?