Squarepusher, effects!!????

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lowendgrumble, Aug 17, 2003.

1. lowendgrumble

Apr 13, 2003
    Chicago, il
    Does anyone know what effects squarepusher uses?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's really hard to find out what he uses on his bass, but he uses these FX for his music:

Eventide DSP 4000 and Orville

Native Instruments Reaktor
  3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Don't know who this guy is, but he sure has good taste in effects units.
  4. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    well he actualy uses little to no effects on bass, he just has a really noodle'y tone... he plays a 6 string fretless, with a midi pickup. So he ither plays clean (or with mabey a few effects - chorus, fuzz, phaser) or he controls his synths with his bass. Two of his synths are a rolland juno 6, acsess virus.

5. [3]

Aug 18, 2003
    Brisbane, Australia
    wouldn't happen to know what kind of midi pickup he uses?..
    i've been playing with a GK-2B(Pickup) and Gi-20 (Gk to Midi converter) and the results have been... mixed..
    i think its party coz the GK pickup was installed on a average bass..(Yammaha BB300)
    and i dont think i got it close enough to the bridge (not that i could get it any closer with the way its designed)
  6. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    He plays a 6 string fretless now ? I thought he just stuck to a Fender Jazz. I might be out of the loop on this one.
  7. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow

Aug 26, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    From all the info I've seen, he has played a four string "Jaco-ized" Fender Jazz. Lately though, he's been using a Warwick Fretted Six and a Warwick fretless four.

I'm having a rough time figuring out what's bass and what's not on his album "Hard Normal Daddy"
  8. That's the fun of it! :D

Seriously, though, he processes the bejeezus out of his bass guitar tone on HND and its even jazzier follow-up Music Is Rotted One Note. There are a lot of bone-dry passages, and there are a lot of ridiculously processed ones.
  9. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I have a Tama analouge drum synth (that I use my bass to triger) for sale... $200 and you can be in sub bass heavin..

10. Gotta be a ring modulator in there somewhere I'd say?? A bass ring mod is available by a funky pedal maker but don't remember off hand who.
  11. When I saw him (six months ago, maybe), it was a fretted six I could only see wasn't a Warwick, and a Stingray 4 - fretted.

As for a ringmod, I thought that was the largest part of his sound.

12. LOVE his bass playing but the last couple o' discs of his I scored had him moving away from featuring it so much (it seemed.) Anything new to check out...?
  13. Duke of Prunes

Duke of Prunes Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Southborough, MA
    Rastop, perhaps? I'm still GASing for pretty much all his pedals.