1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squarepusher. What is he doing?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Hector_G, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Hector_G

Hector_G

Apr 6, 2009
    El Paso, Texas
  2. Found this

might be it, might not

3. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I don't know how he does it but it's lovely.

4. David Beers

David Beers

Jan 2, 2013
    California
    Sales, Marketing, Design @ Brimstone Audio
    I can say for certain that he has a midi pickup in his main 6 string, so what you're hearing is a bunch of synthesizers (and the light show for that matter) being triggered by his bass. He seems to have multiple expression pedals to control the volume of each layer of synth. I saw him on this tour, it was unbelievable. I think Squarepusher, while not for everyone, is one of the most creative and innovative musicians out there. I loved the album he did with all vocoder vocal lines, Shobaleader One, that was the shizzle.

5. David Beers

David Beers

Jan 2, 2013
    California
    Sales, Marketing, Design @ Brimstone Audio
    Here's a link to the video I shot at the San Francisco stop of this tour. It's the bass solo part at the end, broken in to two parts:

6. Spfairchild

Spfairchild

Oct 23, 2005
    Seattle
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, Genzler Amplification, GHS Strings, Tsunami Cables, Sonic Nuance Electronics Contributing Reviewer: Bass Gear Magazine
    Huge Squarepusher fan. Love what he does with bass. But yes, I believe he's controlling various synth voices and parameters via MIDI with his bass.

7. Hector_G

Hector_G

Apr 6, 2009
    El Paso, Texas
    Man... that is just insane. I seriously wish I could fathom how to put together something that would create that sound live. On a budget of course. No matter if you are or aren't a fan of that kind of music, he is one absolute bad ass on the bass. There is NO denying.

8. JohnInghram40hz

JohnInghram40hz Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Charleston, WV
    Somebody tell Dr. Bleepenbloopenshtein to jump on TB and sell me one of those bad boys... Along with everyone else in this thread...

9. Hector_G

Hector_G

Apr 6, 2009
    El Paso, Texas
    Yeah no kidding. I do believe I would purchase one. Maybe two.