Squarepusher's Iambic 5 pentamter tone

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by dirtgroove, Apr 16, 2004.

1. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Maybe this should be in another forum but as it's recorded, and a result of bassist/ bass/ amp and effects I'll try it here.

How can I get Squarepusher's tone in Iambic 5 Pentameter?
    It sounds suspicously as though it may be played with a pick from the crisp sharp attack that each note has but where do I go from there?

Around 7 years ago I remember him jamming at a friends leaving party, just playing some old r'n'b with another local drum and bass DJ and some diva that would play with them during the'r DJ sets (just bass, guitar and singer). They were awesome, if a little tipsy, but really having a good time.
    If my memory serves me right it looked as though he was using an Alembic bass, he was usinng a fairly conventional fingerstyle but just grooving around, making a solid backing for the inger who was really powerful.
    -Damn it. I wish I'd made more of an effort to get to know him when he was just my flatmate Joe's friend, Tom, who'd come around every now and again just to play some "choons".

Anyway... back to the story.
    How can I get this sound?
  2. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    i'll be the house engineer at a gig he's playing next tuesday, i'll give a report after...
    the guy is amazing, and finally getting some recognition in the states.
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I wish I could help you, Iambic5 poetry is one of my all time favorite songs.
  4. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    How's about a report on the bass he uses, if ya don't mind.
    Especially if he's got the Warwick Corvette-looking 3 p'up job.
    Very curious about that one. Can't see the headstock in any of the pics I find.
    Is it just a customized Warwick?
  5. godoze

Oct 21, 2002

Where is he playing ? I would love to see him live. I absolutely love the new album.
  6. I know this in ancient thread...but after listening to the song many times and learning the intro, I feel like I might be able to elucidate.

Personally, I use my thumb to play the low E string bass line, and my index and middle fingers to play the harmonics on the D and G strings. With the proper EQ settings on the amp, it nails the sound somewhat convincingly.