1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SQUARES S's D's & M's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wolffman, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolffman

wolffman

Oct 2, 2008
    Philadelphia PA
    Beta Tester: Red Panda Labs
    I love synth effects like square, saw, deep and mild filters. it was just brought to my attention that these are speaker killers...

Aside from not using these types of effects are there any solutions to make them less harsh on speakers?

Or is there a type of speaker/speaker cab that can handle these wave forms more effectively???

Do 1x15's or 4x10's do a better job?
    Edit/Delete Message

2. J-wall

J-wall

Sep 7, 2006
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    I once thought what you did about square waves, but if they are speaker killers, how come you know they sound good as an effect?

I have been enlightened on many things by reading the 20+ pages of the amp myth thread. They get a little snippy at times in it, but in that thread your question is addressed and declared to be a myth. Synth it up with confidence is what I got from the posts there.

Good luck.

3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    They are as much speaker killers as is underpowering a speaker cab by not using it...

Alex

4. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Not true at all. If it were, then every synth player would destroy speakers.

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Home entertainment/stereos would be at risk too, with some program material. How do some of these myths continue to get transmitted? A few moments of common sense without any particular EE bent would seem to be all that is needed... Maybe someone needs to start some rumors about some other waveforms too. Bagpipe and accordian waveforms would make likely candidates.

Just don't test them with headphones - unless the headphones are at least as wide as the waveform lengths of the fundamentals to be presented - it takes that much distance for the waves to coalesce if there is sufficient low frequency content.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    We are not going to have two current threads in Amps dealing with the same subject matter, "myths".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.