Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squeaky clutch

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by John Deppel, Mar 9, 2004.

1. I'm hoping Mike N reads this post and can maybe give me some advice. I own a 1985 Toyota Xtra Cab Pickup, and during the last few days, I have noticed that the clutch has started squeaking both when engaging and disengaging. I'm not sure if it's just the pedal squeaking, or if the problem may be in the actual clutch itself. Any help you guys can provide would be helpful.

2. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Do you know if it is a spring or hydraulic. It is most likely linkage. Go under the truck and have someone push the pedal in. Anything that moves, put a little grease on it. This is what I would do first. I'm sure if Mike reads this he can give you better advise.

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Has it become harder to shift in gear/popping out of gear?

4. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Sounds like a trow out bearing to me.

5. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    In my experience, throwout bearings groan whereas pilot bearings tend to squeak.

They're both cheap, so replace both of them and you should be in good shape.

6. It hasn't become noticeably harder to shift gears, nor have I been having problems with it popping out of gear...it just squeaks as I depress the pedal, and again when I release. It seems to happen less when I get past 3rd gear. I don't notice it at all shifting into 4th or 5th gear.

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

I bet some wd40 on the pedal joints cures it. I wonder if you can't hear it in fourth or fifth because of road noise?

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I'll go along with everyone else that said lube the linkages, etc.
    Check and grease your u-joints while youre under the truck, too.
    Try that and report back if there's still a noise.

Eyescream - Yes, throwout bearings and pilot bushings are cheap, but labor intensive to replace. At that point, I'd do the whole job (pressure plate, disc, resurface flywheel, etc......) since youre already there and be done with it.

9. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA

Yeah Mike n is right. If you are going to open it all up you might want to replace everything if you plan on keeping the truck. The parts aren't much but the labor is where the money is.

10. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Totally agree on that point (especially if you have a stupid 240SX like I do where you have to pull the motor up off the mounts and pull it forward a couple inches to get the transmission off). Given the age of the vehicle, and it's likely mileage, it probably wouldn't do anything but help to throw a new clutch and associated items on it anyway.

11. you need to completely replace your clutch, clutch master cylinder, flywheel, brake master cylinder, catalytic converter, cv boots, ignition wires, oil pan, transmission synchros, and stering wheel. Also, make sure you only go my auto shop because no one else can do it right. ;)

12. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Don't forget to change the boost and blinker fluids while you're under there.

13. Actually, the truck has low mileage for its age. It just went over 108,000 miles the other day.

Lubed up the joints and everything. Seems to have cured it for now. I'll repost if it somes back.

14. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    19 years old and only 108K? That thing is still in diapers.
    My 1984 Chevy K10 has just turned 360K the other day. Still has the original engine, too.

15. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    You forgot the engine, seats, tires and fuzzy dice.

Them fuzzy dice can be a real problem if not properly maintained.

16. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    got myself an 85 ranger with only 113K. Original engine, original tranny, rustin around the wheelwells, I think it's only the 2nd clutch. Second carb, 1st rebuild. I'm thinking of restoring the truck. I have a camaro to restore too, but that will happen later when I wrestle it out of my mother's grip.

17. Yeah...my late Grandfather was the only previous owner for it. He took really good care of it. The only work I had to do on it when my Grandmother sold it to me was have some body work redone, that and of course start tweaking the hell out of the engine. My grandpa used it as a "ranch truck" so it had a few dents and dings it it.

Damn...that must be my problem. I've got them hanging from the rear-view mirror. Gotta get the truck into the shop and have the dice looked at...:D