Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squeaky Fingers

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bcarll, Dec 10, 2001.

1. bcarll

bcarll

Oct 16, 2001
    Well after a month of practicing I have developed caluses on my fingers. Finally they are not sore and probably will get even tougher. The problem I have is that when sliding on the strings my fingers squeak and I was wondering if that is common and does it make a difference and what if anything do you do about it. ---- bcarll

2. If you're using roundwound strings (which you probably are since they come standard on most basses) then you will get a bit of "squeek" when you move your hands accross them.. Its normal, the only way to not have it is to use flatwound or tapewound strings, and they sound COMPLETELY different then what you're playing with now. Its not a bad thing.

So yeah, its normal :D Don't worry about it, you can even hear some of that if you listen closely to some of the music that you like (depending on what that might be..), you might pick up a bit of "squeek" from the guitar or bass player moving around on the fretboard during changes. :D

3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Don't know if you're into it, but if you wanna hear some "professional squeak," check out Cliff Burton's "Anesthesia" on Metallica's Kill 'em All release.

My girlfriend liked the solo, but hated the squeak. :eek:

4. i dunno about anyone else, but i sometimes like the crazy squeak, it makes it sound really raw, and almost acoustic... IMO, and as usual, it is wrong... ;)

simon a

5. When I think I have too much string squeak, I turn down my treble setting. It works, but of course I also lose some of the high end of my sound. Makes the bass sound "boomier". :) :(