1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squeaky tuners?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TrooperFarva, Apr 11, 2009.

1. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Some of my tuners are squeaky, and it makes tuning a little difficult, because the movement is a little 'jumpy'. They're good tuners, Hipshots, and they haven't always been like this, but recently, a few of them are problematic.

So what do you recommend? Can I grease them with something? Thanks.

2. Hipshots have an adjustment on the side (allen screw) which adjusts the tension on the screw mechanism ( it's what gives you the feeling of loosness or jerkiness) You might need to back these off slightly, and you can put a little lubricant on the threads (I use Vaseline, which stays put and isn't too disgusting if you should get a little where it shouldn't be)

3. N8116B

N8116B

Jan 14, 2008
    Earth
    A better idea than Vaseline is to pick up some silcone from your local scuba shop and use that. It will hold up better than Vaseline.

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    What do you mean by "jumpy"?

Riis

5. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Like I'll apply an amount of force, and the tuner will move 1/8 of a turn over a few seconds, but then all of a sudden, it'll move another 1/8 of an turn in half a second. It's inconsistent.

Interesting about the set screws, I'll have to try that later. Thanks.

6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Okay, could be two things.

First off, it won't hurt to disassemble the tuner itself and lube. I believe the tension cap screw takes a .05 hex key but be careful as its easy to round out the socket (I've done it myself). Once you've removed the string, check for tension and excessive play. If its within spec and you don't feel like tearing it apart, you can always dump a little graphite powder in the gearworks (if exposed) and spin things around to distribute evenly.

While you have the string off, you may also want to check the nut slot. A poorly cut, worn, or narrow slot will create unwanted "grab" and prevent the string from moving smoothly as you tune. This will frequently result in the unwanted "jump" you described. It can also be accompanied by a telltale squeak or creak. Some 400 grit emery cloth wrapped around a properly-sized drill bit will smooth things out.

Riis

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Don't use vaseline, silicone or any other greasy substance that will gather dirt unless you're going to go back in every few months or year and change it. Graphite leaves dark marks on your fingers but lubricates without becoming a magnet to gather dirt and become an abrasive, gummy substance.