squeal coming from a Fender Bassman 400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Sep 19, 2004.

1. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm borrowing a friend's Fender Bassman 400 combo amp, that I maybe buy off him for $300 or so, and I've been using it as a practice amp only and its working out great except for this high pitched squeal that will begin seemingly randomly. I've tried turning the tweeter down, messing with the EQ, it even sounds while the Mute button is on. This combo amp has been in the shop before. For what I'm not sure. Does anyone know a solution to what the problem might be? Can you help me pinpoint it? If I can fix the problem without taking it into the shop, I'll most likely buy it.
  2. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Dude, don't buy another man's lemon. You'll just be bitter.
  3. Nagrom

Mar 21, 2004
    Western Canada
    I have an SWR that keeps doing that squeal. 'Been fixed three times. Still squeals... Get an amp that doesn't squeal.
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah, dont get it
    usually there's a mouse in the amp and no amount of repairs will convince him to move out
  5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I had that problem with a Bassman 200, and it turned out to be a bad solder joint on a capacitor. I found it, resoldered it and the problem disappeared.
  6. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I've never trusted Fender with bass amplification. Fender guitar amps are another story though.