1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squeek

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by dcoburn, May 1, 2006.

1. dcoburn

dcoburn

May 1, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    OK, I've not played URB for many years, but am having a problem with the laminate bass I'm trying to play now. I aquired this older instrument from a school and restringed it immediately. I bought a bow (fiberglass, as I'm poor) and had it rehaired (the original had fiberglass hair on it, and really sucked). When I try to play, it squeaks badly.

Thinking it was technique, I ran over to a locall bass shop and tried one of theirs. Other than the drool I had to wipe off the $30K worth of bass they handed me, no problems from them; it sounded great. Still might be technique, but I don't think so.

I've tried a couple of different hardnesses of Hidersine. One fellow suggested that I might try caking some rosin on the strings themselves, which I tried with mixed results.

So, what to try next?

David

2. What kind of Strings do you have on the Instrument?

3. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Have you tried Pops?

4. anthem274

anthem274

Jul 19, 2003
    Arlington, TX
    I would definitely use a tackier rosin if what you're using/trying is Hidersine. Buy some Carlssons, Pops, or Nymans. I promise you'll get hooked on at least one of the three.

5. dcoburn

dcoburn

May 1, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    I will try the Pops, and I think I installed Corelli strings, but don't recall at this time. Let me try the rosin, and then maybe try another set of strings.

I'm not trying for really great sound here, just trying to get back into the instrument. I'll be shopping for a quality instrument soon enough.

Thanks!

David

6. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Corellis have more "sqwak" than other strings. I suspect your setup needs some tlc.